Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Significant difference between plan and new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Significant difference between plan and new build

Hi,

Sorry for the long post - hope I can get your views.

I'm getting very close to exchanging on a new-build 2-bed flat, which should be finished by July. However, a question that I put to the developers over a month ago still hasn't been answered...at least in writing.

The plans show outward-opening external doors onto a terrace from the lounge and both bedrooms. However, the property has been built with inward opening doors.

Now this might not seem too much of an issue ... but they're big wide doors (like, 34/35 inches wide). Because they open inwards, when you open them fully in the bedrooms, you don't have enough space for a double bed.

Thing is, when viewing the flat as a potential buyer, you get to the terrace through the lounge doors, which (because it's a lounge!) seem fine opening inwards. You then see the bedrooms and, naturally, you see the terrace doors and think 'lovely' ... but you don't go and open them as you've already been on the terrace. I'm not saying that this is intentional on the part of the developer or salesperson at all - it's simply the natural way of viewing a flat.

As I said, I raised this and have a copy of the email from the salesperson to the site manager. The salesperson later 'confirmed' on the phone that the doors should open outwards. I know, I should have asked for written confirmation at that point.

What are your views? I feel that the property is a significantly different living space with the doors opening inwards, but the developer is now trying to say that it's, 'part of the clause to make minor changes to the plan'.

For info, I have copies of the conveyance plans, marketing literature, etc all showing the doors opening outwards.

Many thanks,
    Darren

Sometimes issues like this will come up with new builds - personally speaking I wouldn't proceed with the sale/move until you get it in writing that the issue will be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
      Sometimes issues like this will come up with new builds - personally speaking I wouldn't proceed with the sale/move until you get it in writing that the issue will be fixed.
      Brian, thanks for this. I recognise you from UKBF - is this your forum? If so, it should be destined to be a goldmine at the moment!

Anyway, back on topic, I really pressed the developers today and (to my surprise) they wrote back within a few hours confirming that the doors would be changed. Really chuffed, to say the least - especially as I guess it's not a trivial job.

As to how soon they actually change them I suppose is another matter - but it's in writing, so I'm now happy to exchange.

It never ends...!

All the best,
      Darren

Comment

Excellent - the fact that you have it in writing can only be a good thing.

And indeed, UKBF - I get about a bit. Hence little time there at present.

Comment

Working...
        X