Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cancellation fee's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cancellation fee's

hey all...

after 14 months of being with an estate agent and returning only 1 viewing, yes 1 viewing i have finally given up hope and switched to another agent, however the previous agents are wanting 100quid plus vat as part of the cancellation conditions. my Q is considering they havent worked particulary hard to even find viewers let alone buyers how can i justify paying them for abysmal service and seeing that within the time they have had my property on their books it has lost 10-15k off its value. can i argue this point if it goes to court and win or are my hands tied. also £52 for a 10 minute energy efficiency report is a bloody scandal.

btw...im going to post my experiences with 5 of chesterfields main agents on another thread. worth a look...

fitz

Originally posted by bigbean4action!!!! View Post
    hey all...

after 14 months of being with an estate agent and returning only 1 viewing, yes 1 viewing i have finally given up hope and switched to another agent, however the previous agents are wanting 100quid plus vat as part of the cancellation conditions. my Q is considering they havent worked particulary hard to even find viewers let alone buyers how can i justify paying them for abysmal service and seeing that within the time they have had my property on their books it has lost 10-15k off its value. can i argue this point if it goes to court and win or are my hands tied. also £52 for a 10 minute energy efficiency report is a bloody scandal.

btw...im going to post my experiences with 5 of chesterfields main agents on another thread. worth a look...

fitz
    First of all I don't know all your circumstances so can only go on what you have said and am speaking from the viewpoint of an estate agent. I can't advise you on any legal case you might have.

Obviously in the current market properties are taking a lot longer to sell but as an agent I would feel that a property on that long is probably overpriced to only have one viewing. I don't know if your agent recommended a reduction or gave you any reasons (apart from market conditions) that may have made it difficult to sell. I do have a property on my books that is in a similar position and I acknowledge that it is now overpriced but despite me advising them of this constantly they refuse to reduce and also, despite my recommendations, refuse to go elsewhere. I am going to have to toughen up and invoke my side of the cancellation clause on this one.

I don't know if they have worked particularly hard but have you asked them what they have done ? How many buyers they have spoken to, emailed, mailed etc. Or what have been the hits on the websites ? How many other properties have sold in your area during that period, what areas, prices etc. The more information you have the better equipped you are to know what to do.

Regarding their cancellation charge I would presume this was written into the contract you signed so will be payable. However most agents are members of an ombudsmans scheme so you could contact them for further advice.

£52 for an energy report is actually quite cheap considering the very varied amounts I have been quoted up here in Scotland.

Comment

Working...
    X