Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

really need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really need help

I own 50% of a house (Scotland) that was left to myself and my brother when my mum died five years ago, until recently I lived at the property but was more or less put in a position where I had no option but to move out by my brother and his girlfriend, I have always wanted to sell the house but my brother is refusing to sell or buy me out and I'm not sure what I can legally do, I'm only 21 and all my money is tied up in this house.

Talk to a solicitor or suitably qualified person at the Citizen's Advice Beureau (that's not spelt right, but I can't be bothered looking it up) about the legal side of selling your share without your brother's consent or involvement.

I can't see any legal obstacle to you selling your share, but I'm not a solicitor - I see the practicalities once it comes on to the market - i.e. someone comes along to view it, and they're met by a grumpy brother and girlfriend, rather than by you the seller, or your agent.

If they get the impression that the brother may be a thorn in their side in the future, will they really want to buy?

You're only really going to be attracting an investor type of buyer, a private buyer probably won't even consider it since it sounds like there's not much scope for them to move in and play happy families with your brudder & girlfriend

All sortsa stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
    X