Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

really need help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • really need help

    I own 50% of a house (Scotland) that was left to myself and my brother when my mum died five years ago, until recently I lived at the property but was more or less put in a position where I had no option but to move out by my brother and his girlfriend, I have always wanted to sell the house but my brother is refusing to sell or buy me out and I'm not sure what I can legally do, I'm only 21 and all my money is tied up in this house.

  • #2
    Talk to a solicitor or suitably qualified person at the Citizen's Advice Beureau (that's not spelt right, but I can't be bothered looking it up) about the legal side of selling your share without your brother's consent or involvement.

    I can't see any legal obstacle to you selling your share, but I'm not a solicitor - I see the practicalities once it comes on to the market - i.e. someone comes along to view it, and they're met by a grumpy brother and girlfriend, rather than by you the seller, or your agent.

    If they get the impression that the brother may be a thorn in their side in the future, will they really want to buy?

    You're only really going to be attracting an investor type of buyer, a private buyer probably won't even consider it since it sounds like there's not much scope for them to move in and play happy families with your brudder & girlfriend

    All sortsa stuff like that.