Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buyer & Seller - Same solicitor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer & Seller - Same solicitor?

A family member is interested in buying our house which is currently on the market. Is it possible to use the same solicitor or even the same solitors firm to speed up the process?

thanks in advance

Personally I would use a different solicitor - at the end of the day, they are supposed to look out for your interests - if they represent the seller as well, there may be a potential conflict of interest.

2c.

Comment

Whether ot not the process would be speeded up by using the same solicitor - would not like to say. Regardless, checking land registry etc is always necessary and that is not a speedy task. Also consider if anything does go wrong - don't get on the wrong side of family for a week or two's extra wait. It is not worth it.
      Pinoso Property Property Murcia

Comment

I would suggest that you contact the Law Society (on 0207 242 1222) as there is clearly a risk of conflict of interest unless there is a 'Chinese Wall'. Check it out first!!! They can tell you whether it is permissable.

Comment

It may be possible depending on the relationship, but as suggested by Brian, not necessarily wise.

Also, some lenders don't like the same solicitor acting for the seller as the buyer because they feel that their interests might be prejuduced.
          RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
          As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
          X