Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Flooded

    We live in a block of flats. Below us is a flat and below that on the ground floor is a pub, both owned by the same person, but different insurance companies.

    Last friday we employed a plumber to remove a radiator and cap the pipe.
    The following thursday we were visited by the pub barman asking if we had a leak as water was pouring into the pub. On examining the capped pipe we found that it was leaking. We immediatly called the plumber out again and he came and stopped the leak.

    On further examination , the flat below had a room saturated and a bulging ceiling. Water had obviously gathered there unnoticed and gone through that floor into the pub ceiling.

    Not unnaturally the owner/landlord is not a happy bunny and can't see why he should have to claim on his insurance even though they will eventually claim off ours, which we're perfectly happy about as we are well insured.

    Is there a case for claiming off the plumbers insurance
    and can the pub/flat below claim directly off the plumbers liability insurance thus avoiding a long protracted insurance swap, or does his liability stop with our property?

    And if it does stop with our property ,what happens to the damaged properties below?

    We'd really like this settled as amicably as possible because the owners of the damaged property really really don't want to claim on their insurance in case it affects their premiums whether they were blameless or not.

  • #2
    I think you definitely need to have a chat with a solicitor - a quick call should make it clear which area you need to move into, as we're looking not simply at an insurance claim but potential negligence on the part of the plumber.