Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theft by person viewing house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft by person viewing house?

We are currently selling our house and viewings are being arranged through a local estate agent. We usually handle the viewings ourselves by doing a quick tour and then letting the person or people viewing "wander around" on their own a bit. I had a situation last week where I got the feeling that the person viewing seemed to be spending a long time in our bedroom (I was downstairs but could hear him walking about). After that viewing I thought some things may have gone missing. We had another yesterday morning where I think we may have lost something else.

I'm not sure what to do. The advice from the estate agent was to let people wander but I'm beginning to wonder now if that's sensible. Does anybody have any tips or thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Theft by person viewing house?

The agent should take this very seriously. Consider informing the police. Insist your agent accompanies all viewers and never leave them alone in a room.
    Jeff Djevdet
    Director of Speed Property Buyers.
    The UK’s Favourite Property Buyers
    01903 331 599.

Comment

Re: Theft by person viewing house?

Definitely advise the agent - apart from anything else, if they have stolen from other houses and their owners have reported back, it may provide enough evidence for the police and you may even get your items back.

I would agree with Jeff, that an unsupervised viewing in any room where there are either valuable or personal items is really NOT a good idea. If there is nothing much in the Utility room - and the cellar is empty - then perhaps fine - but if there are items of value make sure you guard them.

Most of your viewers will be honest but there are people who are opportunist thieves I'm afraid.

Please DO tell the estate agent
      QuickToSell - Online property listing service

Comment

Working...
      X