Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are our options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are our options?

Hi have a well presented 3 bedroom property in West Cumbria which has been on the market for the past 6 months and have only had 1 viewing. We have reduced the price on the advice of the estate agent n that time but if we reduce any further we are going to make a significant loss.

We have sought advice from local auction places but their guide price would provide us with a huge loss. We cannot afford to move on and let the current property out for let and we have put an offer in on a bungalow which was accepted based on the sale of our property.

My medical issues which are worsening means that we have to move soon to a bungalow as I can no longer negotiate stairs. We've also considered these quick buy online sites but again we would incur a huge loss and are so wary of the horror stories associated with them.

We are about to change estate agents to see if that will help but is there anyone that can offer some advice or help please? We really are desperate!

Re: What are our options?

Hi there, sorry to hear about your issues selling, especially if it's for medical reasons.

Generally it's the price or appearance that out people off and you've already covered the appearance in your first sentence and therefore that brings me to price.

How does your property compare to similar properties on the market or recently sold properties? If yours is more then that may be the reason, although of good appearance, if overpriced, then people will be put off.

If it's not overpriced then my next suggestion would be the marketing of your property. Not just the obvious as in where is it being advertised such as Rightmove, Zoopla, or how often if in local papers, property magazines, etc, but who? What market is your agent targeting? There's no point in marketing a 3 bed family house to a single professional or a family with 5 kids, etc.

These are just the first things that have sprung to mind so hopefully you'll get some other feedback or have some positive news if you do move to another agent.

Good luck to you :-)

Comment

Thanks for your reply Barny and best wishes. We feel the estate agent has let us down with the target marketing of the property so far as we have priced the property to sell with a value of at least £10k under what other properties have sold for in the area even though we have upgraded the property significantly compared to others of the same type. 1 viewing in 6 months especially when we live close to the largest employer in the area is pathetic.

Fingers crossed with the new estate agent and will update on here as to how things proceed

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie_T View Post
        Hi have a well presented 3 bedroom property in West Cumbria which has been on the market for the past 6 months and have only had 1 viewing. We have reduced the price on the advice of the estate agent n that time but if we reduce any further we are going to make a significant loss.

We have sought advice from local auction places but their guide price would provide us with a huge loss. We cannot afford to move on and let the current property out for let and we have put an offer in on a bungalow which was accepted based on the sale of our property.

My medical issues which are worsening means that we have to move soon to a bungalow as I can no longer negotiate stairs. We've also considered these quick buy online sites but again we would incur a huge loss and are so wary of the horror stories associated with them.

We are about to change estate agents to see if that will help but is there anyone that can offer some advice or help please? We really are desperate!
        Some reason my posts are being deleted, but I will have another ago, and if that doesn't work I will just cancel my subscription.

This post is not meant to patronising, so please forgive me if it comes over that way. I may be completely wrong, and making incorrect presumptions, but I am guessing you are a person of more mature years. Having visited many bungalows before choosing the one I am buying, I made the observation that older people don't present property well. Unless you live in an area where property just doesn't sell very quickly, or the property is incredibly quirky, you should of had several viewings by now. The walls need to be a neutral colour, make sure you don't have flowery curtains or carpets, and for god's sake make sure there is no clutter. People struggle to see beyond family photos and darts trophies.

If the price is right, and the presentation correct, you really should be on the way to selling your property.

Comment

Working...
        X