Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long is too long?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is too long?

Does anyone else feel frustrated at the time it takes to sell? We have a bungalow that has been on market since last May. First buyer pulled out. The people that are now buying viewed last July, said they were cash buyers - hurray. Found out they hadn't even put their property on the market. Finally got written offer beginning Nov 2014. After constant emails with estate agent and solicitor, found out they are selling their property to someone they know who needed a mortgage.

After all the constant re-asking of the same questions from their solicitor (who I'm sure is the office junior!), my solicitor said she'd spoke to theirs who was sure that exchange of contracts would be this week (just gone).

It's like pulling teeth. Unless I constantly ask, I get no information from their side. It has been over 3 months now (excluding the Xmas break) and it is now affecting my health.

Why isn't there a time limit on how long solicitors can take. It's sending people mad. I know issues come up in the beginning but the silence that follows for weeks/months is inhuman.

Anyone else had this all to familiar experience.

Re: How long is too long?

Hi Jan,

As estate agents that deal with both sales and lettings we understand the stress you are going through.

A typical sale will take 8 - 12 weeks to go through (dependent on the chain) and i would say 7/10 times it can take so long is solicitors.

Your agent should be proactively chasing the sale through and looking at moving it forward every time they make a call not just "Get an update"

As with all these things communication is the key, if you know what is happening or why there are delays it makes it easier.

Hope you exchange soon!
    Jacks and Jones Estate Agents
    http://www.jacksandjones.co.uk

Comment

Hi Jan,

Its the moving process on the whole thats the problem. If you are in a chain thats the worse thing in the world as everybody is held up.

Ged
      http://www.premierexpatmortgages.com
      [email protected]

Comment

Hi Jan

I agree, 8-12 weeks is normal. Any longer and I'd have the property back on the market, that's the best pressure you can apply to get the process moving. If they are serious they will speed up. If not, then you'll move on with new buyers.
        Jason McClean
        The Property Insurer
        www.thepropertyinsurer.co.uk
        T: 07734-113554

Comment

Looks like this system is here to stay unless the law changes.
          We have given numerous ultimatums but have now decided to pull out by end of month if no joy. Found out that the buyer at the end of the chain has disappeared, agents and solicitors can't contact him.

Unfortunately, our buyers knew him so didn't use an agent. They can't even contact him.

We have a non typical construction which makes it harder to sell, cash buyers only, so we will get builders in to re-clad the outside with a more acceptable material then put it back on the market.

It would really make it less stressful if once an offer was made, the buyer had to go through with it (like the Scottish system?) and put down a non returnable deposit. Never again

Comment

If it helps I’m afraid almost everyone feels the same way. Trouble is as every home is different arbitrary rules on time won’t work. It’s why I started my company to do things differently – we buy in under two weeks usually – but we can only trade in small volumes unfortunately so can’t help everyone.
            Jonathan Rolande
            Director of House Buy Fast.
            The UK's Quick House Buying Company
            01903 331 588.

Comment

Its just the way the UK system works and buyers and sellers have to deal with it. It can be one of the most stressful things a person ever deals with

Ged
              http://www.premierexpatmortgages.com
              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X