Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No building regs for conservatory, is it a problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No building regs for conservatory, is it a problem?

Hi,

I hope some one can give me some advice. We had a small conservatory added to the house about 10 years ago. It was a DIY kit that a friend built for us, only 2.5m x 3.5m and it was just added to the rear of the house where the existing external french doors were, so no changes were made to the house.

As I remember, the conservatory had proper footings laid, with concrete foundations and a mini brick wall etc. then the UPVC panels and roof erected on that. It has electric underfloor heating with a tiled floor and has been so useful over the years. Never had any problems with it, no cracks leaks etc.

At the time we were advised that we didn't need planning because it was within permitted development and the guy that was doing it didn't even mention building regs? I guess we just assumed they were one and the same thing then, clearly we know better now !

Anyway, as to my question, we need to sell the house now to downsize and raise some equity, but I'm very worried that this is going to cause a huge issue as we have no paperwork or building reg certificate.

Can anyone advise on the best course of action? It's a lovely room, and it would be a crime to have to knock it down after all these years, it's a real asset to the house. Not to mention it will obviously reduce the value of the house.

Many thanks for any help or advice.
Working...
X