Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning permission - In 1991

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning permission - In 1991

Hi there

I'm posting on behalf of my father whose house has just gone under offer. He had it built in 1991 and on the original planning application there was no garage. At the time the Building Inspector said to my Dad and his builder to build the garage footings anyway and he will grant planning permission. Dad remembers getting a letter to this effect but can't find it and one of the buyer's questions is that the garage doesn't appear to have planning permission. I spoke to the planning department at the Council and they have nothing regarding the garage on file, only the house and conservatory.

I've read something about 10 years lapsing, indemnity polices etc, I just wondered whether anyone could shed further light on the matter.

Many thanks

Re: Planning permission - In 1991

Hi,

When I was buying my current home no planning permission could be found for the garage. Stafford planning said that as it had been there for nearly ten years it was highly unlikely that it would be a problem to get it. So there must be something in the ten year rule.

When I explained that it would be later than the house planning permission they checked again and found it.

I would ask them to look around the date your dad thinks he got the letter and ask them if they think if it doesn't exsist if it's going to be a problem.

I know lots of people have horror stories about planning departments but I've found them really helpful more than once.

Hope this is a help.

Comment

Re: Planning permission - In 1991

Weird same here as per my post surely after 10 years you don't need permission

Comment

Working...
      X