Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Adult daughter refusing to sign form

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adult daughter refusing to sign form

    We have a buyer for our house but our adult daughter - who lives with us -needs to sign a form saying she's willing for the sale to go ahead (don't know what it's called) in order to progress things. She is refusing to do this on the grounds that she will be homeless.
    This is not true. I am planning on putting my share of the proceeds into a shared ownership flat and she is welcome to live with me. However, I can't reserve the flat until my name is off the deeds of our current home.
    I've tried explaining this to her, but she wants something in writing and this isn't possible.
    Any ideas please, as I'm at the end of my tether. She's holding things up and the way it's going our buyers may pull out and I'll lose my chance on the flat.
    Thank you.

  • #2
    Re: Adult daughter refusing to sign form

    What a lovely girl!
    Mind you your husband is also being awkward judging by your other post.

    Why does she need to sign a form?
    Does she pay rent?

    Perhaps you should just move out and let them both get on with it.
    Last edited by New Homes Expert; 19-04-2013, 07:54 AM.
    Information for UK new home buyers
    New Home Blog The latest news and views


    • #3
      Re: Adult daughter refusing to sign form

      We used to come up against this sometimes when I worked for a Mortgage Bank. Any adult occupier had to sign their agreement to a mortgage, even though they were not a party to it or committed in any way. This protected the lender in case the claimed ignorance and sat put in a case of possession.

      I guess the principle is the same for a sale. Could you get your solicitor to explain to her? Does she want a specific agreement with you as to the future arrangements?

      Families can be difficult.......