Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling House - got COL but now they want Building Regs??? Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling House - got COL but now they want Building Regs??? Help!

HGi,

I am selling our house and last year we had a problem where we have a fireplace extension (1 story with own chimney off our lounge wall) and tried to sell without certification. Something our own solicitors forgot to obtain during our purchase of the property some 11 years ago.

So we thought we would do things right this time round so obtained the Certificate of Lawfulness last August 2012 which we thought would cover any problems when selling. Now our buyers solicitors are requesting 'building regs' on it (£££ come up in my mind as extra work they want to do) - even though it is some 16+ years old extension way before we moved in and showing no signs of movement or damage, etc

Please help any advice would be welcomed. I am contacting the council although our buyers solicitors did this directly and now we cannot put an indemnity policy on it.

Help!!!! We need to sell due to school placements, money spent on our own purchase, etc

Re: Selling House - got COL but now they want Building Regs??? Help!

can anyone help?

Comment

dont worry, appears the council agree with me and say that we do not need to do anything else and have confirmed that the building dept can not take any enforcement action against us. so we have confirmation of this from both planning and building with the council. problem solved.

Comment

Just because you didn't get approval does not mean that the chimney/extension complies with the building regulations in force at that time it was built.
        No inspections were carried out.
        I doubt the problem is solved!
        BRAND NEW HOMES
        Information for UK new home buyers
        New Home Blog The latest news and views

Comment

yes but there is no cause for concern, it has been up to 16+ years (verified to council) maybe longer with no signs of structure defects or issues. survey didn't even come up with any cause for concern. Christ, you only get 10 years cover on a new build.

We have been told that the client may want the 'impossible' (by his solicitors LOL) so may well re-market it where the council confirmations/certificates would not be cause for concern to any buyer via their solicitor.

No more comments please so I can now close this thread. I have my answer, many thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X