Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rewiring before completion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewiring before completion

Hi there I'm new to this forum I wonder if you can help?
    I'm in the process of selling my mums house. Sadly she died this year.
    The purchaser's mortage lender is saying that they will retain all of the mortage monies until necessary work is completed prior to completion.
    I understand that we can insist that the work does ot start before exchange and ask for 10 per cent deposit and ask for a solicitor's undertaking. Has anyone had to do this?
    Look forward to hearing from you

Re: Rewiring before completion

Survey on our house picked up damp, so our buyer's mortgage company has instructed them to have the works done before they will release the mortgage funds too.

Buyer asked us to reduce the sale price, which we agreed to. They have instructed damp firm to do the works next week.

My solicitor said "if the work is going to be done on 17th Jan, who is going to pay for it if the Contract has not by then been exchanged? It seems essesntial to me to have the Contract exchanged before the work is done. I will therefore take this up with the buyer's solicitor."

I will let you know my solicitor's response.

I too have never heard of this before....

My solicitor also said: "I would find it very surprising if a mortgage lender insisted on work of this nature being carried out before the mortgage advance is released. If the buyer's were borrowing 95% of the purchase price, one might just understand it but usually an undertaking from the buyers, with their mortgage lender, to do the work within 6 months would be sufficient."
    Last edited by gavinh1175; 09-01-2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X