Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling on a council estate-no viewings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling on a council estate-no viewings

My old house that I'm selling is on a council estate ( I've already moved out and the house is empty)

It's been up for sale for 2 months now and only had ONE viewing
    Is this because its on a council estate or is it slow no matter where it is?

The estate agent told me lowering the price wouldnt do much . The locals here wouldnt be interested once they find out where the house is so I'll prob have to rely on out siders to take an interest ( like me when i bought it 2 yrs ago)

Also I've noticed some other houses for sale on the estate have had their 'for sale' boards removed after a few months .They've not said 'sold' so have people on the estate given up or something??

I'm quite worried ,just want to sell it .

Re: Selling on a council estate-no viewings

It will be harder to sell on a Council Estate, thats not me being judgmental, just honest. Right or wrongly, many people do not want to pay for a house in the middle of an estate where most others are not owners.

And when there are so many other houses to buy at the moment, buyers can be choosy.

What is this estate like?
    I am a dual qualified lawyer and surveyor but what I say here is not legal advice!
    http://www.thepowerlinegroup.co.uk Pylon Compensation

Comment

The time it takes to sell depends on a variety of factors i.e. location / available buyers / market conditions / economy / proximity to public transport / state of the house / age of the property.

8 weeks isn't a huge amount of time in this current market so I wouldn’t worry a massive amount. How come your estate agent says reducing the price will not help? Ask for justifications of this. As mentioned above, a council house is not wholly desirable.

If you click the link below (rightmove) and pop your postcode in, you can find similar sold house prices in your area. This should give you a better picture of selling prices for a house like yours. Be cautious of the date of the sale because obviously the market has changed from a good few years ago.

Sold House Prices - Check UK house prices paid on Rightmove
      Ascot Mortgages
      www.ascotmortgages.co.uk

Comment

^Thanks for your reply =)

The 2 yrs i was living there wasn't that bad compared to some other places in the uk i guess.

Did hear the neighbours row sometimes ( they were council tennants) and they did leave their garden to grow for 2 yrs ( its now been cut down)

The other neighbour was an old woman who owned hers and she ended up selling it in about 4 months or so ,to a young couple,so i guess there are some people who would buy on the estate?

Mine has a very large tidy garden ,which is ideal for all the young families out there.

I do regret buying it but my circumstances at the time, it was my only option.

The person that did view my house was looking to let it out, but was advised by her friend not to buy 'on that estate'
        I don't understand that if shes not gonna live there herself ,why be put off by the area??

anyway just gotto keep my fingers crossed i guess =/

Comment

It doesn't sound terrible. Many normal streets sound worse than that!

Is your house deep into the estate or is it on a road right off a main road? I.e. how much of the estate do you need to travel through to get to it?

Someone will buy it, if the price is right. To say dropping the price won't help is closed minded - if it's a good price for what it is, it will eventually sell.

Good luck!
          I am a dual qualified lawyer and surveyor but what I say here is not legal advice!
          http://www.thepowerlinegroup.co.uk Pylon Compensation

Comment

Its on a quiet side street off one of the main roads .

yeah hopefully someone will buy it, if not i may have to let it out which im not keen on but i'll have to wait and see =/

Comment

Working...
            X