Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell all or keep cards close to chest? Flaw in house we're selling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell all or keep cards close to chest? Flaw in house we're selling

We're selling my deceased parents' house. There's a kitchen extension. Over ten years ago there was a problem with cracks. An insurance claim was made. After very extensive investigations and surveys, for which we have all the paperwork, the upshot was that there was no subsidence established. The problem was that the cowboys who built the extension hadn't bothered including any foundations.... After further tests and inspections the insurance company's view was that everything had settled and was stable. All remedial work was in the nature of tidying, redecoration and so forth. No underpinning or anything foundational was done. The extension looks alright, a few minor cracks are apparent but nothing at all dramatic.

How should we handle this in selling the house? Should we declare all to the estate agent handling the sale? Should we leave it to caveat emptor? Surveyers didn't flag this to my parents on their purchase of the house. Should we say nothing and if a query is raised, perhaps a suspicion of the dreaded subsidence, then produce all the investigatory paperwork to demonstate that it's not great but it's pretty definitely not subsidence. What are the legal boobytraps, timebombs or obligations?

Re: Tell all or keep cards close to chest? Flaw in house we're selling

It depends. Does your city have any specific laws about real estate disclosure? You might want to find out before leaving it up to caveat emptor.
    Visit MyProperty.ph to buy or rent condos, houses, apartments and other residential properties.

Comment

Re: Tell all or keep cards close to chest? Flaw in house we're selling

I see your predicament. I'm assuming building control signed it off on completion? Personally i would come clean, you could off-set this problem by reducing the price, at least then its a justified reduction and not one for the sake of selling it on quickly. Whoever buys it will find out something is wrong for sure. Have you had a survey done now that you are selling it on?
      Stewart Property Buyers

www.stewartpropertybuyers.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X