Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confusing informal bid from lady on my street! How to proceed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing informal bid from lady on my street! How to proceed?

Hi all,

Situation: Selling my house. It is on at £150,000 but my I would be happy to accept north of £143,000. There was a cheeky offer of £135,000 when we put the house up for sale a few weeks ago.

Today, a lady on the road said that she definitely wanted to buy the house for her daughter. She said that she would put pay a few thousand more than the highest offer. I told her that the only offer put forward was the very low £135,000, so she suggested that she would put on £140,000. I then said that we were hoping for at least £145,000. We kind of left it that we would see what other offers were going to be put on that she would then react to and outbid...

Now I'm not sure what to do. If we do not get any offers in the near future, how should I move the process on? I'm terrible with discussing money with people, and with her informal approach, do not have the intermediary of an Estate Agent. I would prefer for her to just make a bid to the Estate Agent that we I could accept or not, and now feel a bid in limbo!

I also thought of fibbing and suggesting that more interest had arisen.

Need some advice from someone who has been in a similar situation, or knows how best to proceed in this sort of situation. I'm a bit at sea!

Re: Confusing informal bid from lady on my street! How to proceed?

You've had interest which is good - in which case, next person who comes along and asks about price, tell them you'd be happy to settle for £145k, but no lower. As the buyer is already saving £5,000 off the selling price, that may be attractive to them.

However, the fact you are getting offers has to be a positive, as there's obvious interest.

Comment

140k is a reasonable offer considering the property market right now. If you cant go to 140k why dont you go back to her and say you've had a think about it with your partner and you would be willing to go to maybe 144,500 (if you can). She sounds keen to have her daughter living close by - she wants something you have so play with the numbers a little. Try not to negotiate in big numbers or whole numbers, as then she will do the same. Have a price you wont go below and stick to it, negotiate in increments of 500 or even 250. Or get a good friend to do it for you. Good luck.
      Stewart Property Buyers

www.stewartpropertybuyers.co.uk

Comment

Would love to know how this turned out.

Comment

Working...
        X