Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Written notification of offer for the seller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written notification of offer for the seller

Hello,

Is the estate agent obliged by law in the UK to inform the seller that there has been an offer, in writing? The estate agent has told me there is an offer, it seems genuine enough, but this is the 3rd offer, the last 2 having pulled out at the last minute. On the last two occasions I received a written confirmation that there was an offer, this time I havent.

If it is the case that the estate agent has not carried out his responsibilities, what is the best course of action? I have had several problems relating to the honesty of this estate agent, and while I wish to continue the contract, I don't want to be 'suckered' into thinking there is a buyer for my house , if this is not the case.

Also, am I supposed to receive a letter after I have accepted an offer?
    It may seem like I am being picky, but I really don't want to have the wool pulled over my eyes for the umpteenth time..

Thanks
    D.M

Re: Written notification of offer for the seller

It's been a while since I was in agency, but I don't think they have to inform you in writing. They do have to inform you quickly, within 24 hours is the accepted norm, but I don't think it is a legal requirement. I stand to be corrected of course.

The RICS Blue Book (Agency Property Standards) includes no reference to offers having to be communicated to the client in writing.

Comment

FAQs about estate agents | House Prices Blog

according to this site, they are...

Comment

If you think the agent is forging offers to make it look like there's interest, then report them to RICS (if they're RICS Regulated) but you'll need something more solid than a hunch.

At the end of the day if you have problems with the agent's honesty, why would you continue marketing with them, as it sounds like you're looking for a way out anyway?

If you want to take the line with them that they should have informed you in writing, I'd find that somewhere more official than a blog on the internet.

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Under the Estate Agents Act, 1979 an estate agent is legally bound to present anyoffer promptly and in writing to the person selling the house, unless the sellerhas said in writing that there are some offers that they do not wish to receive.

As you say you are not sure of the answer either, maybe it's a long time since you were in the estate agents, as you seem oblivious to it ...............;

Thanks for your input
          Last edited by Anonymouse; 11-08-2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Looking a little deeper into the Blue Book, I stand corrected, it should be confirmed in writing, by email, fax or letter. I guess if you wanted to break your contract this would certainly help.

Steve

Comment

Again thanks for your valuable input Steve........

Comment

Working...
              X