Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buyers trying it on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyers trying it on?

Long story short , we put our house up at 170k, we accepted an offer of 165500 we had 4 competing offers on the table within 3 days of house going up for sale, our estate agents suggested we go with this particular couple despite them not being highest bidder as they were 1st time buyers had a mortgage in place and were looking to move quickly, ideal as we had found our dream house. Fast forward 7 weeks mortgage valuation was completed house valued at 169000, so all good to proceed, 3 weeks later we are contacted by estate agents they are nervous and now want a full structural survey, appointment arranged, surveyor attends spends 40 mins at house. Buyer contacts estate agent saying surveyor says house now needs 15k of work doing, they want this doing and will then buy at agreed price or can we reduce by 15k as they cant afford necessary work.

Work deemed necessary from surveyor

Complete roof replacement
    Rotten main purlin in roof
    Rewire
    Wall ties

Surveyor stood on ladder never went in loft? He never checked the electrics, opened cupboard and looked at RCD unit new type with individual breakers for each circuit.

We have over the weekend had a roofer out to inspect roof, some ridge tiles need pointing, and the irons need replacing there are few tiles that need replacing, main purlin and all timbers as is loft is bone dry with no signs of rot or damp. quote of £600 to complete work

Please can anyone advise? As mortgage company have said house is worth more than they are paying as it stands, how should we proceed, they are sending an independent roofer to inspect roof, but roofer we had said to replace roof would be circa £3000

If anyone could offer advice we would greatly appreciate it

Thanks

Re: Buyers trying it on?

Personally I would do two things:

I would ask for a copy of the survey to verify what the actual problems are, if any.

I would instruct the estate agent to start marketing the property again and go back to all previous interested parties to see if they are still in the market.

Call their bluff! They sound like they're trying it on to me too!

Comment

Working...
    X