Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

selling a flat built out of my house without planning/building regs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling a flat built out of my house without planning/building regs.

OK so I would be grateful if someone could tell me to stay where I am or try and sell (I would like to sell but will stay if there is a problem)

I have built a flat above my house on the 3rd floor complete with its own street entrance, however without any Planning/Building Regs (yes I know this was stupid!). It was built 5 years ago to house my mother who has now moved out (to live in a home), the council is not aware of it and I would like to ideally do something about selling it if possible as I need the money, the flat itself is lovely.

Which brings me to the question, can I obtain a separate title for it, its own postal address, lease etc and sell it as a property or am I screwed and stuck with a nice flat above my house(I am planning to live in my house forwever anyway)?

Thanks

Dave

Re: selling a flat built out of my house without planning/building regs.

Well the actual construction is immune under planning as a building operation because it is more than 4 years old - however the change of use to a separate dwelling would only become immune after 10 continuous years as such.

Planning isn't the worst problem - it is building regulations. Can't imagine any buyer's solicitor accepting a flat with no building regulation completion certificate that was only constructed 5 years ago!
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X