Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My signature was forged on the 'Bill fo Sale' and the house sold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My signature was forged on the 'Bill fo Sale' and the house sold

Hi one and all,

I owned a house jointly with my partner. We broke up.
    I agreed she could continue to live in the house and until she ready to sell. I set no time limit, but it was quite a small house and felt she would want to move eventually. I felt secure with this arrangement as she would need my signature to sell the house.
    Nearly twenty years passes.
    We met again at my fathers funeral. In polite conversation she tells me the house has been sold and she has moved. "How can you do that" I asked (in a state of shock) "Oh it was easy we forged your signature" she replied.
    This is at my father funeral and other things are on my mind. The next day when things eventually sank in I realize I have not got her new address. I ask my sister if she has the new address, “Yes” she says but she will not give it to me as she thinks I might upset her. Aaaaaaah!!!!
    I didn't know what to do. All I really wanted was to talk to my ex. maybe come to some arrangement. I feel sure she does not realize the rather serious crime she has committed; I wanted a settlement without getting her into trouble.
    Several years have now passed, but I still feel grieved and now coming up to retirement I could quite frankly do with the money.
    What (if anything) can I do now?
    Lionel

Re: My signature was forged on the 'Bill fo Sale' and the house sold

Tell the police!

Comment

Tell the sister you need to speak to your ex, because you need to come to an arrangment with her otherwise the police will be called in for fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
        Tell the sister you need to speak to your ex, because you need to come to an arrangment with her otherwise the police will be called in for fraud.

Thank you for your replies.

Even after all the years I am not comfortable with just calling in the police. I feel I may just loose control and they would just pursue the 'crime' with little interest in whether a settlement was reached or not.

I feel the way forward may be along the lines of your thoughts Brian. While thinking it through I may not really need to speak to my ex at this moment. A simple letter may suffice, although composing a letter that does not sound like blackmail may be difficult.

As a matter of curiosity what 'crime' are we talking of here? It is not simple fraud (my friends tell me) as the land registrar is involved. So what section does this fall under? or what would the wording of a police charge be? And what would the potential sentence be?

Maybe if I gently explain the risks she is running, she may be motivated into seeking a settlement without police involvement.

Lionel
        Last edited by lionel1020; 11-08-2011, 07:12 AM.

Comment

She has cheated you out of monies and there if you don’t see the money again, surely justice needs to be done for her criminal behaviour. Maybe contact a commercial lawyer and see what they say? This will cost money though but at least you will know where you stand; if you can get the money back without contacting the police then great if not then inform them.
          We have debt solutions to help you get out of debt problems

Comment

I think a simple letter to her explaining you would like to speak to her about the sale of the house and the money she obtained from it. Also mention the fact that she admitted the forgery within this letter & keep copies of any correspondence between the two of you (as these may be produced in court should it get that far). You have to remember you have done nothing wring here and she has obtained money illegally and at a cost to you too.
            Anthony
            Compare the Mortgage Market
            http://www.comparethemortgagemarket.com

Comment

Working...
            X