Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building regs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building regs

I would be so grateful for any advice!

We built an extension - single storey kitchen - 2 years ago. My partner did a lot of the labouring work, after the footings were dug, bricks laid and damp proofing added, our builder left without saying anything.

We had to get new builders in who finished the job.

The problem is this all snowballed and we didnt get building regs or any of the work signed off.

We are really hoping to move but do we have any hope of selling?

We also had a new builder installed, for which we do have a certificate for.

Re: Building regs

Was the Building Control Department told about the work and did they send people round to inspect?
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

No, the building control department were never made aware of any work.

Comment

the council have powers of enforcement if they discover the works. as a general rule they expire after 12 months following the unlawful work (proving the 12 months is one thing) unless there is a danger to health and safety in which case they have unlimited time, and they can issue an injunction against you etc.

well, depending on the quality of the buyer's conveyancer, you may find that offering legal indemnity insurance for lack of building regulations is acceptable for the build works and that will only be a few hundred pounds if that. so many conveyancers think such insurance is the solution to most problems and so you may just get away with it

otherwise, the buyer may insist that you get belated consent from the council, and that would be a nightmare.

you have nothing to lose by offering the former - but do not contact the council as that invalidates the ability to get insurance

Comment

I agree - but as the work is only 2 years old if I were acting for a buyer's solicitor I am not sure I would be entirely happy with a policy.
          RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
          As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
          X