Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

desperate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• desperate

Hi am a newbie on here only just found you.

I have had a rather nasty shock through a very large estate agent who will remain at the moment nameless. Sorry if this post is rambling and long but i will try and condense it as much as possible.

All started in oct-nov 2009 when I put my house on the market as we wanted to moved closer to family over 100 miles away. They valued my house at 250,000 which we were happy with and proceeded to sign the agent contract. One particular agent was becoming extremly rude and after yet another stupid off well below 200,000 mark we refused. This person barged back into my house and rudly asked "is she here" and strongly recomended we accept as we wouldn't ge anything more insinuating that my house is nothing more than a pile of useless bricks and mortar. Couldn't fire them at this time as was still under contract. forward to feb 2010. Got a buyer with an resonable offer and sale commenced contracts arrived and we also had contracts or our nice new home. signed and sent back for the selling side (in fact hand delivered) with the agent person demanding that the exchange date has to be within 2 weeks or the buyers will pull out and wed lose everything. Tried to explain needed to give months notice for my job time to pack and sort out removal stuff to be told again NO if we didn't agree they would pull out. in the event the buyers pulled out on exchange date anyways through the agents inhouse solicitors incomptance and lack of insight so we lost our new home and I now had no job.

Tried to find avenues to complain could we ?????? HELL NO 9 blooming months it took us to even find one and that was a fluke.

E mailed one person to be told our details had been passed over as they didn't deal with our area This gets better. was given thier details to be passed over again to someone else and someone else. FINALLY GOT SOMEONE TO REPLY.

They called and promised to come back to me by the end of the day DID THEY DID THEY HELL> 5 e mails later they finally called me and what an arrogant idiot basically told me its all my fault and tough titty said that I had no grounds for any compensation and all I can do is appeal in the hopes I would go away (he don't know me very well.) I have tried the obudsman but even they are uninterested in me Also I beleive a member of staff from the agents was posting on an estate agent site insulting me verbally but have no proof it was a member of staff.

wha can I do where can I go from here they have completely wrecked my life The only thing now is we found a good agent who has sold our house for near asking price (only 5,000 less) and now running like a well oiled motor.

Re: desperate

Firstly i am sorry you had a bad experience but pleased that it seems to have come right at the end.

When the agent was rude and upsetting did you complain at the time? If not you should have done. If you leave it and complain later it comes across as an excuse because you haven't sold or haven't got the price. So anyone in a similar situation should voice their concerns at the time and I would recommend putting it in writing to the branch and, if you feel strongly enough, to the Managing Director of the Company. When you don't know who to complain to don't be fobbed off - find out the name of the MD (try the website if necessary) and send them a copy of your complaint.

If the ombudsman did not take the case on then they should have given you a reason. There may be a good reason but that doesn't make your feelings any less valid.

Sadly sometimes things just go wrong, but there is no excuse for rudeness.

Comment

i tries to complain at first and was fobbed off.
      I had the MD for our area and he got that idiot who I will not name to call me who again fobbed me off I didnt even get a rply from the obudsman at all just blanked as for the conveyancer CWPL I complained to them initally then they also just fobbed me off and no where to escalate as I said 9 months to even find something to go to

I would go to national papers with this but unfortunatly as I am not famous and no sex scandals they are not interested I would go the court route but they realise I cannot afford this so can ride slipshod all over me All I want is to be re embursed for all the trouble they caused sol fees I had to pay out for the house we lost as had to pull out

where can I go from here they have almost destryed my life and almost my sanity

Comment

quick update after a fashion I have forced my hand and the md of the compoany is supposed to call me between now and mid next week. will let you kniow

Comment

I don't think anyone can really help unless you are a lot clearer about exactly what it is that the agents did or didn't do that you are complaining about.
          RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
          As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

boy where do I start.
            the agent first off .

I own a large victorian 4/5 bed house with a large garden which I inherited but its far far to big for just 3 of us so decided to put it up for sale. The agents we chose came over took photos and up it went valued at 250,000 it would be worth a lot more as the area I am in is quiet and only 40 mins from london by train. but it needs cosmetic surgery on the interior so 250,000 is very very reasonable. went ahead signed contract and the sale commenced. (this was in oct 2009) we had a few viewers who s offers we refused as they were too low. and were mainly property developers chancing thier arm. (first gripe why did they sent property develipers over when clearly advertised a family home ????) one evening after yet another viwer came in with a really bad offer (170,000) I turned it down. The agent at that point came back into my home or rather barged in without knocking and gruffly tolld me "is she there" and rudly told me I should accept the offer cos no one would want a house like this insulting me and my property. I would hav fired her on the spot but was still tied intothe contract and my son just had a go at her which was met with a shrug and a half hearted apology. Finally we had a family in feb who made a very good offer and we accepted and the process started. hips went out to what turned out to be the mos incomptant conveyencer that we were told to use as they were quick all was going swimmingly we found a new house and set the ball in motion the contracts came in for the selling of the house nd we signed and hand delivered them to the estate agent as they promised to send them direct to the sols Then the problem really started the agent at that point turned round and told me that I had to be prepared by 9th April as if we were not out and ready the buyers would pull out I told him that it was impossible as I needed o give a months notice for my job and time to prep for the move they told me well we can only give you until the 12th if not the buyers will pull out and you will lose everything. as we wanted out ASAP we reluctantly agreed and prepared. Forward to 12th April. the conveyenser called and said they fLagged a problem (ON EXCHANGE/COMPLETION DATE) the problem should have been flagged when the hips went through to them 6 weeks earlier (land problem which is now sorted was a very old mess up by LR 80 years earlier) We were sorting this out with our sols for the purchae when the agent called and said that the buyers pulled out anyways I called the conveyancer back and complained that because of thier lack of foresight that I had lost the house I was buying and a multiude of problems had occured because of hier incomptance. The woman on the phone was arrogant rude surley and basically told me tough its all my fault and get lost basically. I asked for the call to be listened to and to come back to me but they never did every time I called them mentioned my name the line went dead. Back to estate agent. My partner called thm very upset and the female agent told him that she had spoken to the buyer and said that they may come back in. But we discovered the call never ever took place we tried to complain but could not find anywhere at all either for conveyancer or agent. until now ager 9 odd months later and again I am hiting brick walls with broken promises and the blame is all on me again.

sorry its so long but you did ask.

BTW we are sold now no probs (touchwood) with a good agent and sols.

Comment

mmmm - first of all why not send developers? As an agent I am going to welcome all viewers, if they don't offer enough then refuse it. If you want to restrict your viewings to families only then that just leads to problems.

Re the rudeness, complain at the time to the manager and get it sorted. If not happy complain to the head office. Believe me if they didn't want to deal with you they might have released you from the contract.

As I am not a solicitor I can't comment on the conveyancing but again a formal complaint at the time would have been advisable - in writing to the main person.

You mentioned the ombudsman in another post and being fobbed off. Surely a formal written complaint would have merited a written reply. Was it formal ?

If you want compensation you need to quantify how much you have actually lost and have tangible evidence to support your complaints. I'm afraid they won't compensate just because you are a bit hacked off.

Good luck with your MD chat but my advice is stick to the facts.

Comment

HI.

The developer part. we did realise that developers may have a strong interest as the land at the back is big enough to put a small house there the viewings 99% of the time were the developers and only 2 viewers out of 5 months were families one was inapropriate as had walking problems and we are set on 3 levels (top levels are the 2 large bedrooms ) and the other who made the offer. We did complainn to both them and conveyancer at the time but we told tough

We phoned head office to put in complaints only to be met with not me not me not me you need to call xyz and pushed from pillar to post. tried everywhere for someone to complain to and met a thick brick wall every time. It was only by chance that a was given an E mail for one of the area directors who in event didn't deal with my area and put me onto the managing director of the company who passed me again to the director of my area who was as about as useful as a chocolate fireguard After firing off several E mails o the actual MD (his PA deals with this and told me she would book an appt for him to speak to me . Maybe I am besing hasty about the obudsman as it has only been 2 weeks but nevertheless they should have sent me an automated reply (i did this all online. ) to acknowlege the receipt. I,m not a greedy person or very materialistic or money orientated but all I want is to be reimbersed for the funds w lost for the survey on the new house we lost and sols fees we had to pay upfront and som sort of renumeration for the stress caused when I lost my job to move (we still have the receipts from the sols ) My patner suffers from tummy problems which is aggrivsted under stress but I knw we can't do anything about that as not under a doctor

Thanks for replying and any advise is being taken on board. and I will kepp everyone updated.

Comment

Whenever making a complaint, do so in writing - that way, you ensure you have a record of your grievances, and any reply that claims to address them.

Trying to phone a company to make a complaint is often a big mistake, and whatever is said, you have no proof of it if ever challenged.

Comment

can't believe you were treated like this...it makes me so angry.

Comment

boy where do I start.
                      the agent first off .

I own a large victorian 4/5 bed house with a large garden which I inherited but its far far to big for just 3 of us so decided to put it up for sale. The agents we chose came over took photos and up it went valued at 250,000 it would be worth a lot more as the area I am in is quiet and only 40 mins from london by train. but it needs cosmetic surgery on the interior so 250,000 is very very reasonable. went ahead signed contract and the sale commenced. (this was in oct 2009) we had a few viewers who s offers we refused as they were too low. and were mainly property developers chancing thier arm. (first gripe why did they sent property develipers over when clearly advertised a family home ????) one evening after yet another viwer came in with a really bad offer (170,000) I turned it down. The agent at that point came back into my home or rather barged in without knocking and gruffly tolld me "is she there" and rudly told me I should accept the offer cos no one would want a house like this insulting me and my property. I would hav fired her on the spot but was still tied intothe contract and my son just had a go at her which was met with a shrug and a half hearted apology. Finally we had a family in feb who made a very good offer and we accepted and the process started. hips went out to what turned out to be the mos incomptant conveyencer that we were told to use as they were quick all was going swimmingly we found a new house and set the ball in motion the contracts came in for the selling of the house nd we signed and hand delivered them to the estate agent as they promised to send them direct to the sols Then the problem really started the agent at that point turned round and told me that I had to be prepared by 9th April as if we were not out and ready the buyers would pull out I told him that it was impossible as I needed o give a months notice for my job and time to prep for the move they told me well we can only give you until the 12th if not the buyers will pull out and you will lose everything. as we wanted out ASAP we reluctantly agreed and prepared. Forward to 12th April. the conveyenser called and said they fLagged a problem (ON EXCHANGE/COMPLETION DATE) the problem should have been flagged when the hips went through to them 6 weeks earlier (land problem which is now sorted was a very old mess up by LR 80 years earlier) We were sorting this out with our sols for the purchae when the agent called and said that the buyers pulled out anyways I called the conveyancer back and complained that because of thier lack of foresight that I had lost the house I was buying and a multiude of problems had occured because of hier incomptance. The woman on the phone was arrogant rude surley and basically told me tough its all my fault and get lost basically. I asked for the call to be listened to and to come back to me but they never did every time I called them mentioned my name the line went dead. Back to estate agent. My partner called thm very upset and the female agent told him that she had spoken to the buyer and said that they may come back in. But we discovered the call never ever took place we tried to complain but could not find anywhere at all either for conveyancer or agent. until now ager 9 odd months later and again I am hiting brick walls with broken promises and the blame is all on me again.

sorry its so long but you did ask.

BTW we are sold now no probs (touchwood) with a good agent and sols.
                      My point was that there is a story here but it is difficult to disentangle exactly what the agent did that caused OP loss etc.

If OP is going to make a complaint that is going to be taken seriously by the estate agents he/she needs to sit down and calmly explain in writing each incident and the effect it had on him/her, differentiating between financial loss and compensation for rudeness etc.
                      RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
                      As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Updated on part of the complaint with the conveyancers That has now been resolved received compansation (awaiting cheque) and the person involved with the appauling way she deat with us (conveyancer not agent) subsiquently lost her job. The MD for the company that I spoke to said that she had never ever ever heard an employee of the comany speak to a customer the way she did and also gave us proof of a lie the estate agent told us.

As for the estate agent well receive a letter basically stating oh well but tough titty get over it (written politely of course)

as for the financial losses because of the estate agent demanding removal dates amd basically saying that if you don't comply wih our demands for moving date the buers will pull out etc etc I know I prolly would not get anything for loss of earnings but would go for stress factor.
                        As for the lies IE agent telling me that she had contacted byer and they may change mind (call never took place) Telling me that the buyers sent back contracts unsigned (we have written evidence they did in fact signed) but as in england we cannot sue for breach of contract. and the appauling way she insulted my property stating no one would want it unless we dropped by almost 100,000 . I always presumed that the agents were supposed to act in your interest not work against you. I have had media interest in this (awaiting local papers) and will go down that route The big MD concerned in this promised to call me and even after a week nothing. So in a nutshell We didn't even get a proper apology or any goodwill gesture from them

Comment

This is awful! Really hope that things work out. As has been suggested, get everything in writing regarding the whole process.
                          Looking for a large mortgage?

Comment

I have kept everything in writing from the numpty who poo pooed my complaint and sent several mails to the directors PA and have been totally ignored again she backtracked trying to get out of getting th head to call me all kept and the ignoring of them do you think I should skip him and go direct to the ombudsman ?????

Comment

quick update got hold of the md finally after a fsshion and he is as bad as the others skirted on my complaint and unbelievibly skipped most of what I was complaining about seems that he thinks that now I will go away I didnt even get an apology and again even he cannot keep a promise

Comment

Working...
                              X