Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lease Problem. Please HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lease Problem. Please HELP!

When we bought our house nearly nine years ago, we were quite nieve and did not take much notice of the lease details.....BIG mistake!
    We have never paid any ground rent or had any contact with the leaseholder, to us he is just a name on a piece of paper.
    The problem is, we are now trying to sell our house but people are being put off by this 'absent' leaseholder.
    Apparently, many of the leases for houses in my area were sold at an auction during the 80's (ours included). We have no address for the leaseholder, just his name from the land registry documents.
    I would be willing to buy the lease if I could only find this guy!
    What can I do?
    Are there any experts on this forum that can help?
    I just want to sell my bloody house!
    Dan

I should have thought that a solicitor should be able to track down the leaseholder via the original sales documents? May cost a couple of hundre quid in fees/time charged, but if you can get everything straightened out...

Certainly a solicitor should be able to advise if it's possible - most are happy to take a query on the phone and advise whether it's something they definitely couldn't help with, or something they may be able to help with, so you should be able to get a free answer before having to make a decision or commitment of any kind.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
      I should have thought that a solicitor should be able to track down the leaseholder via the original sales documents? May cost a couple of hundre quid in fees/time charged, but if you can get everything straightened out...

Certainly a solicitor should be able to advise if it's possible - most are happy to take a query on the phone and advise whether it's something they definitely couldn't help with, or something they may be able to help with, so you should be able to get a free answer before having to make a decision or commitment of any kind.

Hope that helps.
      I am certainly no expert but it sounds like Brian has said it all. A solicitor should certainly be able to help you get things fixed to normal.

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys.
        I will definitely get some legal advise on this matter.

Comment

Dan,

Don't panic. Your solicitor will know ways to track down the freehold title owner. And, even if they can't, there are mechanisms for you to "buy" the freehold share if they do not respond to the various notices.

If you want recommendations of appropriate lawyers in this field then just email direct.

Andy

Comment

I was in this exact same position, the leasholder has been absent for like 20 odd years, the solicitor did searches but to no avail, the solicitor then set up some kind of indemnity insurance (i believe it was) so that we are protected if they ever return, following this all the leaseholders in our block are setting up a management company to manage the lease.This will make it alot easier if anyone is selling the property otherwise it is a very long process re-searching for the lease-holders
            If you've got it, Property Flaunt it! - www.PropertyFlaunt.com

Comment

Working...
            X