Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my house extension has no planning regulations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my house extension has no planning regulations

hello all. The house i purchased has a rear extension and a roof extension which were built in 1982 but no building regulation approval was acquired. When i purchased the property 7 years ago the solicitor said that an indemnity insurance would be fine, anyway recently was looking to sell the property and the agent who came round said that with no planning regs it would be difficult to sell. anyone's experience would be appreciated.

Also has anyone tried to get retrospective planning permission

thanks

Re: my house extension has no planning regulations

Planning and Building Regulations are different so please don't confuse them.

If the extension was built in 1982 it will now be immune from any action under Planning Law so you don't need retrospective planing permission.

If the work was done in 1982 it is too late get a regularisation certificate under building regulations. Most people would have a survey and get the surveyor to say whether he could see any problems with the extension Generally you would expect that if the work was substandard any problem would have emerged by now.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Re: my house extension has no planning regulations

thank you for your response. So am i entitled to call it a 4 bed house ? Sorry if its is a dumb q but dont really know much about this. Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X