Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we get the work done or not? Advice please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we get the work done or not? Advice please..

My husband and I have decided to sell our (my) house and move into rented. We're doing this because we need more space for our family but are unable to afford to buy the size of house we want in the area we want (for schools).

My house is a midd-terrace which I bought when I was single, two-up, two-down, kitchen on the back style. Anyway, I bought the house from a builder in 2001 and it seems he didn't do the damp proofing correctly because the downstairs (lounge-diner) needs doing again. I had a builder look at it last year and he confirmed it needed doing as the walls are patchy and paint peels off. He quoted £1800 so I'm guessing it'll be around £2k now.

Is it worth having the work done and then putting it up for sale or selling as is? Will it make that much difference to the price or our ability to sell?

All advice welcome..

Re: Should we get the work done or not? Advice please..

It won't enhance the price in my opinion but will make it easier to sell and reduce the risk of the sale falling through or your price being reduced after a survey is done

Comment

Re: Should we get the work done or not? Advice please..

Yes 100% should get it done. Any work that can prevent possible dampness is vital as it will only get worse.

I would suggest getting a second quote though as £1800 seems a little on the steep side.

Hope this helps.
      http://matrixpropertymaintenance.doodlekit.com/home

Comment

Working...
      X