Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Legal requirements for selling/letting

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Legal requirements for selling/letting

    Good afternoon all,

    I'm considering selling or letting the house I currently live in. What in the way of electrical and gas safety forms/cert's do I need for either option?

    We have UPVC wiring installed by previous owner but no paperwork for that or consumer unit etc so I am right in assuming that an electrical safety test is not going to be a quick (or cheap?!)?

    Thanks in advance

  • #2
    Re: Legal requirements for selling/letting

    Hi Dan,

    Landlords have obligations under law to keep tenants safe in relation to gas (carbon monoxide), electricity and fire. By law you MUST have an annual, valid gas safety certificate at ALL TIMES. There is no legal requirement to have an electrical certificate, but the only real way to prove the electrics are safe is a certificate, so sensible landlords get one every 3-5 years.

    I hope that helps :-)


    • #3
      Re: Legal requirements for selling/letting

      You need to obtain an electrical gas safety certificate and electrical certificate.


      • #4
        Re: Legal requirements for selling/letting

        Safety to tenants is a crucial thing, to be on the safe side just have gas certificate as proof that you did take measures.
        Michelle Alden- Property to Rent