Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No viewings in three weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No viewings in three weeks

In a nutshell:
    Decided to sell house, had three agents round, negotiated fees and lock in periods with all of them (down to 5 weeks, not 24 weeks). One was too pushy for my likings, wanting to photo the house before I'd signed the contract. Decided to go with the agent who offered a good range of sales statistics and nationwide office connections.

Three weeks in, not one viewing. I would have expected a few "skirting board kickers" through the door, at least!

The agents don't bother to ring me about feedback. When I rang them, on Friday last week, their first suggestion was lowering the price AFTER only 3 weeks. (It's on at roughly 15K lower than a similar property up for sale on this relatively new development).

The other agent who is selling the more expensive property (plenty of viewings, etc) has clients looking for a property on this development (and because the vendors won't budge on their price). I know this could be a carrot, but they have got people through the door (I spoke to the owners long before I placed mine on the market).

Should I disinstruct the agent my property is currently with and go with the other or what? I just don't know...

Re: No viewings in three weeks

Yes, It is NOT acceptable the Agent (makes not odds if local or national agent) should not act in this manner. You should receive weekly updates, advice and support. I have managed New Build for a National Developer and Used Properties, we call them PX. However your business is always central. Sadly today we see agents who (allegedly) have some sales executives or negotiators who just don't (I feel) put enough effort into their roles. It is no excuse that you have not receive much support. You should talk through with Branch Manager how you feel and ask HIM or HER to meet with you at your property. Explain to the Manager why you are upset and point out that reducing the price is not the only option. Talk about any incentives you could offer (In conjunction with the current asking price).

If the Agency is national you must then speak to the Regional Sales Manager, as sure he/she will help you.

Make sure that your not paying more that 1.5%fee on completion of the Nett price. Some agents will even take 1%. Think of selling direct yourself with NO agent. It is possible.

Comment

do you have a retainer on the agent?

Comment

have a chat with another agent and explain your situation and how the other company is not helping sell your property and see what tehy can offer you.
        We have debt solutions to help you get out of debt problems

Comment

3 weeks is a short time from sign of contract to getting the marketing into gear - and just because another property is being marketed at £15k more does not mean that it is selling at that price (by all accounts, it is not!).

Keeping the agent on a 5 week contract was a good move, but allow the dust to settle first, IMO - you're being far too impatient. If there's nothing happening, there's nothing to report on.

What you need to remember is that market conditions are not favourable to sellers, so bear in mind that viewings may be slow.

Comment

5 weeks is way too short in the current market.

I look around me and I can see houses that have been on the market since 2009. If the owners of these had been changing agent every 5 weeks, they would have run out of agents to go to long ago.

Never mind the fact that there's one other property for sale in your development - how many have SOLD recently? Find out on Zoopla, ourproperty, etc.

Comment

Yes thats not on at all, 3 weeks without a viewing there is probably something wrong with the way they are marketing your home. Have a look on this Hove estate agents site which shows what they do to sell a house, and then check if your agent is doing those things for your property, if there not find someone else that will. They have to be finding the right kind of bueyers for your home!
              Callaways Estate and Letting Agents Brighton and Hove
              Please Follow me on Twitter HERE

Comment

Originally posted by chris-sussex View Post
                Yes thats not on at all, 3 weeks without a viewing there is probably something wrong with the way they are marketing your home.
                Really, Chris - do you think the market in the whole of the UK will be the same as the market in Sussex, or Brighton & Hove....?

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
                  3 weeks is a short time from sign of contract to getting the marketing into gear - and just because another property is being marketed at £15k more does not mean that it is selling at that price (by all accounts, it is not!).

Keeping the agent on a 5 week contract was a good move, but allow the dust to settle first, IMO - you're being far too impatient. If there's nothing happening, there's nothing to report on.

What you need to remember is that market conditions are not favourable to sellers, so bear in mind that viewings may be slow.
                  I don't agree with you. 3 weeks in this particular area is far too long with no one through the door.

Any agent worth his while should have a bank of applicants who are looking for a certain type of property in a certain price range - and they should have been able to get one person at least through the door. It's the agent's duty to report back to the vendor (not the other way round - we're paying them for their services). An agent, I understand cannot hold the vendor to ransom - if I decided to market it with another agent before the contract is up, they cannot pursue the matter as they have not introduced any prospective purchaser to us.

Comment

I think 3 weeks is a bit soon, take your time because at the outset you vetted them reasonably well.
                    Northern Ireland Property

Comment

I exchanged contracts on my house yesterday - eight months after it went on sale. The house was on a road that in the past had been one of the most popular in town. Eight weeks from going on sale to completion was common.

And I had to drop the price by nearly 10% from the lowest intial valuation (17% from the highest valuation)

That is how bad the market is!

Comment

Yep, and things are getting worse by the looks.

Think that's a good thing, though - would much prefer a more balanced property market than one way off trend and unaffordable.

Comment

Try reducing the asking price! Or approach a quick sale company

Comment

In the current market 3 weeks is a short period of time.

getting the correct estate agent is vital and if the current one is not doing the job up to standards then you should dis instruct them. I hate when estate agents dont keep you in the loop

Comment

3 weeks 5 weeks 10 months ??? who know's what the right time is but we all know the market is very slow in most areas. I would look on nethouseprices and check your selling price. 2007 was the peak so if it's higher than anything sold then you'll find it impossible to sell. I'll presume it's being marketed at a realistic price, if so it's back to basics. Check the agent is advertising in the right areas, make sure rightmove is updated with the correct info on your property. Check the photos look well and weren't taken at night. Check your property comes up on the listings when you search by area AND postcode as that's really important. Get a friend to call the agent with relevant info, does the agent pitch your property? Has the agent put a board up? basic I know but very relevant.
                              Check all this first and give them at least 5 weeks, after that point look at going joint with another company. Sometimes that helps.
                              I know in the areas I buy in nothing is selling unless it's a bargain, things are just really difficult at the moment. I would also try and advertise it yourself on Gumtree, it's usually free so worth a bash. The longer it's on for with the same description and photos the harder it is as it starts to look like an old instruction, refresh it every 8 weeks.
                              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X