Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying out partner - Will stamp duty apply?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying out partner - Will stamp duty apply?

As part of our imminent separation, and eventual divorce, my wife is wanting to buy me out of my share of our jointly owned property and I have no problem with this. We own the property outright. I believe that regardless of property value (which would be greater than £250K) or buy out value (>£125K) that married couples getting divorced do not have to pay stamp duty on such a property transfer. Is this the case?

There will be a delay between property transfer and obtaining the divorce as my son is 18 in just less than a year and we want to keep our divorce simple. Does this matter?

If I simply transferred over the property to her using form TR1 thru Land Registry, without any direct tie in to a remuneration would this be a problem?

Re: Buying out partner - Will stamp duty apply?

If you are only paying her £125K and there is no mortgage on the property then there is no SDLT anyway as it is at the threshold.

If you were paying £125K and taking over half of a £125K mortgage then you would be assuming a debt of £62.5K and the total consideration for SDLT purposes would be £187.5K and £1875 SDLT would be payable, but not if on the occasion of a divorce.
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Working...
    X