Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nightmare buyers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightmare buyers

I am getting so angry and stressed that I had to vent this, to people who hopefully might have experienced this or will know if its normal!!

We had our very perfect house on the market for 3 weeks and sold it (or are about to sell it) for 2.5k under asking price, which is all great. Not bragging about the perfect house bit, just making the point that it is in a fantastic state of decor and repair and there really is genuinely nothing bad to say about it, which the buyers agree with.

HOWEVER - they are now at the just pre-contract stage turning round and asking for loads of our personal goods!!!! I gave them a long list of everything we would be prepared to leave, but that was not the end of it - I was getting furious when they asked for our garden furniture as well, but completely almost lost it today when they asked for my bathroom mirror. I feel like this is a yard sale. We are not emigrating we are also moving house to a larger house, and hence everything we 'throw in' we will have to go out and buy again. I am also about to have a baby so have enough extra stuff to buy, without replacing all my really expensive goods that I bought to last, not to give to cheeky ####s.

Has anyone else experienced this? If said baby was not about to arrive I would love to turn around and tell them to shove the sale.

Re: Nightmare buyers

Stay cool. And stay cool with your buyer. Just say no. Make it clear to them that you are selling the house, and that's it Period. Put the pressure on them - let them sweat. Be firm. If they're not happy, let them walk. It's their loss. If you managed to sell the house in just three weeks, it's obviously a nice house at a nice price, so there will probably be other people willing to buy it soon.

Comment

Thanks I do feel a bit calmer about it today, and am going to say no. For all they know these things could have been wedding presents, or hired to dress the house for sale which I know a lot of people do, so its astonishing that they think it is just a free for all and they can ask for whatever they saw lying around in the house that they quite like!

Next time I sell a house I am going to be extremely plain at every viewing that it just the house that is being sold, to avoid this nonsense.

Comment

Hi Again,

Remember, you always have a choice. And here I don't mean the choice whether to sell them the extras or not. I mean you have a choice whether even to consider their offer. That choice is yours to make.

People will always chance it by asking for extras, or to reduce the price, or for this or that. There are three things you can do: accept what they ask for, negotiate, or refuse what they ask for. That's your choice.

If you feel you've compromised enough (which I think you have), make a stand and don't accept any more of their requests.

I was a a management training course recently and the topic of how to handle people when they try to pass their work/problems/whatever to you. They described it as imagine the other person has a monkey on their (the monkey represents that person's problem / request/ etc.). The person wants to off-load that monkey to you.

Conclusion: Don't accept their monkey.

I hope that makes (some) sense.

Comment

It does, thanks v much, its v useful to get a calm perception on a situation like this! I don't think I was being v calm yesterday I had just got so fed up with the whole thing. Remind me never to sell a house ever again

Comment

I really understand and sympathize with you.

We had the buyers from hell who wanted our garden ornaments which included a little girl and a dog fountain which we bought in memory of our daughter who passed away.

They demanded this amongst our other possessions and when we refused because it was not in the sale, they said they would let us keep it. It was never theirs in the first place and made us so very cross as we had left them so many other extras such as a Summerhouse, Gazebo and Rose Arch.

They also demanded that we leave the place where it had been in a satisfactory condition, after that we lost patience and did nothing of the sort even though we fully intended to do it before the demands.

This was after they offered us 35k less than the asking price which we got them up to 15k below, the cheek of some people.

Comment

Two negotiation tips..
              1. And-my-wife-too..., when a buyer asks for too much.. just give him a good healthy laugh and add "yeah ! and you want to get my wife too ??" Show him nicely he has crossed your lines.

2. Ask for something in return.
              When one side goes too greedy.. it is usually because the other side (you) haven't asked for any thing in return.
              When on every request they have you place a request of your own.. "if you want the garden tables that might be arranged.. but in exchange I wish extra two week advance on the..."
              Mortgages with no money down 2010

Comment

Totally agree with Mortgagebuster and Onthelookout! They are taking advantage!
                The prospective puchaser always gets a list of items included in the sale sent via the solicitor, where you list virtually everthing that is included, excluded and (something else) in the sale.
                A simple "no", when they start asking for grannie's false teeth, should suffice. And if it sold in three weeks, there should be one or two disappointed purchasers who could be interested.... Good luck with the birth...

Comment

Thought I would comment;

Well its simple to me, yes the buyers are taking advantage as they interperate the property market to be "desperate and depressed", hence their cheeky offers. However when we sell new build, we offer lots of incentives. I must say that your are exceptionally fortunate to agree to a 2.5k reduction on listing price.

In regards to the comments, yes I understand but just be calm, clear and firmly say how you feel to them. Remember if they are going through all this messing about with extras then is a mirror or garden set worth you happiness for your new exciting property.

If you offered, just make it clear that no other "extras" are provided. After all its the bricks and mortar that are important.

The problem with selling your property is that it is so personable to you. Ultimately if they persist and you feel upset, tell them that you are willing to increase your property sale price by £500 cost of the mirror and garden furniture, that will shut them up.

Comment

Originally posted by MortgageBuster View Post
                    1. And-my-wife-too..., when a buyer asks for too much.. just give him a good healthy laugh and add "yeah ! and you want to get my wife too ??" Show him nicely he has crossed your lines.
                    That's a very good comment.

It's certainly not unsual for a buyer to seek to take on the furniture and furnishings as well, especially if they have come out of rented accommdation or returned from overseas.

But the selling of the house is the selling of the house, nothing more. Any extras have to be negotiated. If you're happy to sell some of the furniture and furnishings, you offer a set at a set price, and leave it at that. If they wish individual pieces, they can take note and offer you individual prices on individual items once the sale is concluded.

Comment

Well I wish I had logged back in to say that it has all been sorted, but what a surprise - the day we were supposed to exchange (Monday) the vile people came back and said that they would like £500 off, because they thought we might have been able to move this weekend, and because the solicitors/mortgage people etc etc can't move that fast they 'have been inconvenienced' and had in fact booked a removal van for this weekend and taken time off work to sort the move. Even though we had not even exchanged or agreed a date to move!

Part of us wants to just give up the £500 to get the sale sorted because we want to move (and never have to deal with the hideous people again), but this honestly feels a bit like theft.

What revolting people there are in the world. And what a risk they take - there is not going to be any goodwill when we move out.....

Comment

Why not ask the agent to pay this £500? In order to save the sale... probably too late though as you posted this in June!

Comment

We ended up just agreeing to it because we were too fed up with the whole thing and were worried the chain might collapse if we let it drag out, this only happened this week! It has gone on for that long.

We knew if we fought it there was a good chance they would back down but that would have meant arguing for weeks, so now we are going to have to go through the house and remove every single thing that isn't nailed down etc, leave them no information about how the boiler works, etc etc - I don't know why these pathetic people don't realise that what would have been a lovely clean house with a nice note and lots of instructions will now be a house that I have banned everyone from touching with a hoover or duster, and absolutely no instructions about how anything works at all.

Sod them - they are going to have to pay far more than £500 getting engineers and tradesmen out to help with things that have simple explanations - morons. People who go through life behaving like they do must have a very miserable time of it, being despised by everyone they encounter. I don't think the estate agents would have paid it because they can't stand them either, they have been so rude to them so many times - they were telling us not to pay it (easy for them to say)

The advice on here has been really good though and has helped me try to be rational and think of the good points of the sale, like achieving so close to list price etc. so big massive THANKS to everyone who replied.

Comment

We had equally strange buyers. They wanted money off for moss on the roof and a cracked slate - £1000 if I remember correctly.

Comment

Did they get it DM?

Comment

Working...
                              X