Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange Third Viewing Experience – is this acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Third Viewing Experience – is this acceptable?

I am just wondering what other people think about this.

My house has been on sale for just over a month and I’ve been fortunate enough to have several viewings in that time, good feedback but no offers yet.

One particular couple came to view while I was away and the EA took them round.

I was in when they came back a week later for a second viewing. They spent a lot of time walking round the outside before knocking on the door. They told me they were a cash buyer and interested in buying a property to rent out. I found their attitude belittling and quite unpleasant, they scrutinised everything, said very little and left abruptly. I was glad when they left.

This week I my EA contacted me to say they wanted a third viewing on a specific day and time and that they wanted to bring a ‘Tradesman’. As I was working at that time I said it wasn’t convenient. The Agent came back to me and said that if I didn’t allow a viewing on that day or time they would ‘pull out’. I said if that’s their attitude, I didn’t care if they did ‘pull out’ its not like we’ve agreed anything anyway. The EA suggested that he show them round while I was at work so I agreed.

After the third viewing my EA contacted me to say that the ‘Tradesman’ they brought round was an Estate Agent from another Agency.

I can only guess at their motives, but I personally feel it was done in a very underhand sneaky way and they can't be trusted.

Not having any experience of selling property before I would like to ask, is this a normal thing for prospective buyers to do?

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

GoingHome

Re: Strange Third Viewing Experience – is this acceptable?

Bringing a 'tradesman' would not be that unusual if they wanted say, costings for a new kitchen or perhaps an extension. I would expect them to be upfront about the reason though. However bringing another estate agent is unusual unless they wanted advice about doing the property up and reselling. I do have a client I do a lot of business with who does ask for advice in that respect but I don't go to view. I have only once viewed on their behalf and that was because they were out of the country when the property came up for sale.

I understand you being sceptical but if they make an acceptable offer then I would take it at face value - after all you may not like them but they wouldn't be living with you ! I would imagine that if they are taking the trouble to view 3 times then they are interested but it is your decision in the end.

Comment

Re: Strange Third Viewing Experience – is this acceptable?

Thank you for your input drhouse, its much appreciated

I will wait and see if they come up with an offer, although I'm expecting a low one if they do as the viewer was seeking out 'faults'. I am told by my EA that he and the other Agent that came told the viewer he was being picky and the 'faults' were just cosmetic. I also told that both Agents agreed that the asking price is set correctly.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X