Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenants buying a house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants buying a house

I am selling my house & the current tenants desperately want to buy it. There are however, a couple of problems:

She was made redundant a while ago & he is Self Employed (18 months or so).

The mortgage would probably cost them HALF of what they pay in rent. they have NEVER missed a single payment in almost 4 years - they have ALWAYS paid bang on time.

They do have a couple of relatives who may be able to help out, either loan/deposit wise or guarantor wise.

Any help is much appreciated as I really do need to sell the house ASAP.

Re: Tenants buying a house

Have they got ability to raise the funds is the only question you need to ask, whether it be cash or mortgage you need to know the score.

If they are willing to meet your required asking price then there is no reason why you couldn't agree a realistic timescale to give them an opportunity to raise the funds and purchase the property without involving an estate agent. However, be ready to stick to that timescale and if they aren't able to source the funds you need to be prepared to call it off and leave them as tenants or put the property on the market and open the door to other potential purchasers - you need to look after number one first in this game.

If it is cash then seek assurances from them by asking for "qualification of the offer" i.e. copy of bank statement to show they have the funds available, letter from reputable solicitor is a lesser option.

If mortgage then ask them to obtain a mortgage offer and make sure you see the actual offer in writing.

It is an attractive option when you consider the fees saved by cutting out the need for the estate agent but don't be suckered into being a soft touch.

Good luck.
    George F White
    Chartered Surveyors with offices across Northumberland, County Durham and Yorkshire
    http://www.georgefwhite.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X