Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sell house with annex but no planning permission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell house with annex but no planning permission

Hi,

We would like to sell our house and I was wondering if someone could advise us on what to do.

We extended and transformed an old garden shed into an office/granny flat with electricity, water and heating. We have no planning permission for this.
    We live in a conservation area. The old shed was built (and therefore extented) on a listed wall.

In order to sell, should we apply for a planning permission in restrospect or get an indemnity insurance cover? or ... else?
    Would a survey done by the buyers pick up on the fact that the annex has no planning permission?

We are first time sellers so appreciate any advice!
    Thank you!

I would ask your solicitor and see what he / she says. You need advice from someone who is legally trained rather than a property professional.

It will depend too on what you've done to the old shed to "transform" it. Is it the same shed or did you tear it down and build a bricks and mortar building in its place?

Look up as much planning information on your local area on the internet too.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      The old shed was teared down (it was falling appart). It was replaced by a wood structure (shed like wood structure).
      The old shed is on the council boundaries map. However the new annex is bigger.
      Thanks for your help! I will contact our sollicitor.

Comment

Working...
      X