Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Planning Permission ISSUES!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Planning Permission ISSUES!

    I am due to be selling my house and before we moved in we carried out a kitchen extension which now turns out has no planning permission - there has been no rejection and the local authority do not know it's actually there.
    When we bought the house it had a lean to conservatory which we demolished.
    We have had the property now for about 3 years now. I'm aware of the 4/5 year rule but would anyone be kind enough to give me some advice if there is any other way i can sell the house without this problem jumping up again.

  • #2
    If it is a small extension it could be "permitted developmetn" that deosn ot require planing permission. the rules are quite detiale dbut you should be able ot find them by Googling permitted development - or ring up the planning departement of another local council and put a hypotehteical case to them - size of extension, type of property being extended, distance from other proeprty and a the road, etc are all factors.

    You may find that you didn't need planing permission - but you probably will have needed to comply withthe buildign regulations and unless you had the extension work inspected you may have a problem in that respect. You may be able to offer a buildling regulation indemnity policy to your buyer - these don't cost a lot - and your solicitor can easily arrange one - but are not available if you have contacted the Council about the work!
    RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
    As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.


    • #3
      I would agree, your local planning office at the council should be pretty good. I recently had to speak to them regarding a strip of land behind my house. They rang me back when they said they would, gave me great advice and were generally really helpful.

      Try them first, if not, ring up a local architect, they should be able to help.