Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where do i stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do i stand

hi please could someone help me if have just sold a property, it copleted today but when the new owners entered the property today a pipe had burst who is liable? please can someone help

I would suggest you are.

At the end of the day, it depends on what your solicitor and the purchasing solicitor have written into contracts and agreed on, but if the funds changed hands on the date of entry, the new owners got the keys on the date of entry, and the contract specified that they would take ownership of the property on the date of entry (and by implication, YOU owned it right up till that point), then it looks as though you're liable for the cost of repairs up to that point.

Unless there's something specific to say that the new owners were taking on responsibility for insurance, maintenance, etc in advance of the entry date, then I'd suggest it's your responsibility.

Never mind, your insurance will cover it - you HAVE got home insurance valid up until the date of entry, haven't you?

Comment

They entered today; when were you last in the property?

Comment

let this for the solicitors to fight out

Comment

This is not so much a question of when they moved in, more when the solicitor's exchanged contracts - this is when the responsibility officially transferred to the buyer. They were responsible for carrying out a survey to protect them from liability in such occurances before they exchanged - if they exchanged and this happened afterwards, then wash your hands of it.

Comment

Home insurance should have been set up with the mortgage transfer, so I would expect the liability to be their insurance company, rather than any expensive personal liabilities.

Comment

Working...
            X