Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sell by owner or get professional help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell by owner or get professional help?

How many of you sell your homes on your own and how many of you seek professional help? Anything to watch out for in either scenario?

I would think that if you could sell a house by yourself you would save yourself some money. You wouldn't have to pay to have a realtor. That being said I know someone that did try this and she just wasn't getting the exsposure or the buyers like she did when she decided to go with a realtor.

Comment

Re: Sell by owner or get professional help?

a private house sales website will tell you to sell it yourself and an estate agent will tell you to use an estate agent. you have to decide on your own capability and willingness to walk the path less travelled in the hope of saving some money.

Comment

I would think that if you could sell a house by yourself you would save yourself some money. You wouldn't have to pay to have a realtor. That being said I know someone that did try this and she just wasn't getting the exsposure or the buyers like she did when she decided to go with a realtor.
        If you were trying to sell a house or flat in England/Wales using a realtor would not help very much because I don't know that there are any here. They are all in the US!

Seriously though the point is that unless you really do know what you are doing you could find a buyer that says he is all keen but has nil chance of getting a mortgage or is involved in some hopelessly long chain that will never get itself together - will you be able to check all that?
        RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
        As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Selling your own home can save you tens of thousands of dollars. Selling your home is always stressful. But if you want less hassle just seek for professional help. So that he/she would complete that task of selling your home.

Comment

I tried to get in touch with an agent; seems either they are too busy or too lazy. I am going to contact cash buyers. I need to sell my house really quickly...already into arrears.
            Sold my house to a cash home buyer - stopped repossession. Happy

Comment

I tried to get in touch with an agent; seems either they are too busy or too lazy. I am going to contact cash buyers. I need to sell my house really quickly...already into arrears.
              Be careful they really are cash buyers - lots of people try it on and are really raising mortgage finance or have something to sell so cannot proceed quickly. Good estate agents will be more likely to spot that kind of thing.
              As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.

Comment

Richard,

you make quite a striking statement about people who advertise as cash buyers. This implies that all cash buyers are to be mistrusted and there is no place for investors to assist people as in this case.

As an investor I use many forms of finance which as a solicitor I am certain you are aware of. As an example I now have access to a large property fund established in the North West. The deal is 100% cash out of the bank.

But lets put it another way - what if the money that ends up in the sellers account has not been in the buyers account for a year. Does this matter to the seller? You assert that it is the financing process that often delays the sale. In my experience the majority of delays come from the delay in getting the sellers paperwork in order eg outstanding secured loans, dual ownership issues etc. Joint ventures are becoming increasingly popular as a means to bring the force of other peoples money to bear on a market which on occasions needs people who are prepared to purchase a property at a discount from someone who needs to sell urgently.

I suspect you are thinking 'methinks he doth protest too much'. You may be right but I felt I needed to add balance to your comment. Thanks.

Robin

Comment

you make quite a striking statement about people who advertise as cash buyers. This implies that all cash buyers are to be mistrusted and there is no place for investors to assist people as in this case.

As an investor I use many forms of finance which as a solicitor I am certain you are aware of. As an example I now have access to a large property fund established in the North West. The deal is 100% cash out of the bank.

But lets put it another way - what if the money that ends up in the sellers account has not been in the buyers account for a year. Does this matter to the seller? You assert that it is the financing process that often delays the sale. In my experience the majority of delays come from the delay in getting the sellers paperwork in order eg outstanding secured loans, dual ownership issues etc. Joint ventures are becoming increasingly popular as a means to bring the force of other peoples money to bear on a market which on occasions needs people who are prepared to purchase a property at a discount from someone who needs to sell urgently.

I suspect you are thinking 'methinks he doth protest too much'. You may be right but I felt I needed to add balance to your comment. Thanks.
                  No, that's fair enough, but it is still the case that if an estate agent checked you out he would presumably come back to the seller and explain that you were experienced and knew what you were doing, and therefore it was a reasonable proposition.

My concern is about the private individuals who say they are can proceed - some deliberately lie, but more often are naive and think they can buy when they can't, and the seller hasn't enough experience to ask the right questions to find this out.

Comment

Thanks to both of you, but finally got a good offer from a cash buyer. My agent could not guarantee a fast sale, so decided to go with the quick buyers. They are offering good price, pretty close to market value.
                    Sold my house to a cash home buyer - stopped repossession. Happy

Comment

The average home that is sold privately sells for 14% less. Be careful.
                      Canada rates |current mortgage rates comparison

Comment

The average home that is sold privately sells for 14% less. Be careful.
                        I am not sure that is true in England/Wales. I am sceptical about selling privately I don't that is a valid reason for not doing so.

Most people can get pretty near at valuing their own property - it is making sure the buyer proceeds that's the issue here.

Comment

It's best to get professional help because they have experience in selling unless you really know what you are doing.
                          Michelle Alden- Property to Rent

Comment

Selling your own home is easier than ever before as many of the websites out there use the main property portals used by estate agents!

Comment

Really jtrader? Are you saying that those websites advertise on Rightmove, Findaproperty and Zoopla?

Comment

Working...
                              X