Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

legal access

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • legal access

    I currently have a major problem with my potential house sale. I received and accepted an offer on my property and all was well. However, on the day of signing conditions of sale, the purchaser's mortgage lender queried the access to one gable wall. I have a written agreement with my 90 year old neighbour to allow access to my property which makes the boundary of his property for maintenace, painting etc. The mortgage lender will not accept this as acceptable. My neighbour is in poor health and neither he nor his daughter will accept a proposed legal agreement (as requested by the mortgage lender). Any help or suggestions would be most welcome, as it appears i may be stuck with the property and unable to sell

  • #2
    I think you need to work this through with a solicitor - if you're not already working through the sale with one, then I'd definitely recommend giving a call to one specialising in residential property law.


    • #3
      If the property is in England & Wales the Access to Neighbouring Land Act gives the buyer a right to apply to the court for access for necessary maintenance etc. Therefore I can't see why the lender is making all the fuss and OP's solicitor should be making the point to them that a legal "right" in the deeds is not necessary.

      As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients
      RICHARD WEBSTERwww.rwco.co.uk
      As a conveyancing solicitor I want to be helpful (England/Wales only) but can't accept liability for this.