Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling Without an Estate Agent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Without an Estate Agent

Amongst the confusion over the house market madness it seems more and more people are choosing to sell their house online without an estate agent. Now hopefully people won't think I am being thick asking this but I don't quite understand how this is possible.

From my understanding, when selling a house you need a hips pack, is there any nationwide HIP's providers who allow you to order a HIP's pack online?

With that in mind, all one would need in order to sell their house therefore is a HIP's pack and a solicitor to sign over the land ownership once a suitable buyer is found through some form of marketing. If somebody could run me through this from the very first step to the very last step, or provide me with a link to a resource online that explains the very question then I would be most grateful.
    Matt

Some people; usually those who have set up a new 'property sales' website; would have you believe that you can
    "Sell your Home Privately and SAVE thousands in agents fees !!" and
    "List YOUR property on the net with (name website here). Reach 3 MILLION buyers .... advertise with us privately and SAVE a fortune in (estate agents') fees."

Almost every property discussion forum such as this has a posting somewhere from someone who has set up one of these sites, and is touting for customers. I looked at the one that I copy/pasted the above text from, put in the first two characters of my postcode to see what they had, and there were TWO properties listed. I know that there's thousands listed in this area with the established agencies, so it has to be asked; where are people going to look when they want to find a home? Will it be the established places (aka estate agents) with their majority holding, or this place with two properties for sale?

Sometimes what you're paying for when you hire an estate agent is access to someone the agent spoke to the day before; that person who's looking for a house just like yours. Or the person who viewed a property like yours a month or two ago and who is still looking. How are you going to find these people?

If you put your house up on the internet yourself, whether with a site like the one above, or your own, how are you going to pull people in from the high street? The folks who come to your town, and look in the agents' windows? You could put postcards in the newsagents' windows, but will the property hunters be looking there, or in the estate agents' windows?

What are you going to do for print advertising? You could put an ad in the property section of your local paper, in the property section, but isn't it going to look a bit lost in amongst (I assume) your local agents' larger adverts....?

This isn't the guide you were after, I know.

Comment

Your response sound very familiar, almost as if you work for an estate agent; maybe if I word my question differently it might help.

I live in an area where the only estate agents are in the town next door and they all want to spend their time helping those with the million pound mansions so that they can get a higher return.

I did not like the service I had off them so I chose to take matters into my own hands, effectively I don't want to be selling privately and I am not so bothered about a fast sale but I certainly want what I feel my property is worth.

What I want to do is buy a HIP's pack myself as the estate agent say that they own the HIP's pack already compiled. I need somebody who covers the whole country because of where I live.

Once I have got one I am clueless of what else I need to do. I was told that I need a solicitor to sign over the land ownership, if that is even the correct phrase to be using.

I have my own ideas on how I can advertise my house but when somebody gives me a call and says they want to know more then I will stumble on my feet.

Do I invite them to view the property?
      How do I get my land ownership papers?
      Do I need a solicitor, if so why?

To be honest, I have no clue what questions I am supposed to be asking, if anybody would like to help me out here I might actually sell my property.
      Matt

Comment

If you're not certain of what you are doing, then this is all the more reason to seek a reputable estate agency.

As googler points out, there are a lot of "private sales" websites out there - hundreds of them - but almost all of the property website traffic for sales and buying go to the few big estate agent sites such as Rightmove and fish4homes.

Also, with conditions in the property market in a downturn, then this is all the more reason to have a reputable agency to advise you - otherwise you really could end up losing a lot of money on a transaction.

Comment

Selling Privately

Hi Matt, Selling privately really isn't any different from using an estate agent. I own my own IPR site (internet retail site) and we offer the same level of service that most agents offer for a fraction of the cost. Yes - all the work of describing your property and taking neccessary photos falls to you and dealing with postpective buyers is also dealt by you. However - you save yourself thousands of pounds in commission and we promote your property on the big affiliate sites such as Fish4homes and Nestoria. We are a new site and already building a good property portfolio from customers who are fed up with paying extortionate estate agent fees.

Selling privately is a worth while alternative service that may not suite everyone but is a worthy consideration to people who don't mind putting a little work in at the beginning. There are a lot of IPR sites which don't advertise elsewhere and expect to sell your home with little marketing. However sites such as myyorkshirehome, thelittlehousecompany and houseladder are worthy of a look if you want national exposure and a proffesional feel.

Comment

Same level of service...?

" ... we offer the same level of service that most agents offer for a fraction of the cost. Yes - all the work of describing your property and taking neccessary photos falls to you and dealing with postpective buyers is also dealt by you"

So you don't offer the same level of service, then, do you? The tasks which would normally be within a standard estate agent's remit are left to the owner to take care of themselves....

Chris, you might have typed this in a hurry, but if your website shows the same grammatical level as this posting, then find a proof-reader..... quick.

How does myyorkshirehome, as 'Yorkshire's exclusive property website' give national exposure....?

thelittlehousecompany - I searched for property with the first four chars of my postcode, which is one of their options; this is a WIDE area, and they have NO properties listed. Widened it to the first two alphabetic chars of my postcode, and there's TWO properties. This can hardly be classed as 'national exposure', can it..... ?

houseladder - again, with the first four chars of the postcode, NO property. Just using the two alphabetics isn't an option here, so couldn't try that. Typed in the nearest city, and there's FIVE properties show up.

National exposure?

Comment

Hi matt I just thought that I would let you know that if you sale your property privately to a cash buyer ie someone buying with out a mortgage you will not need a hip pack, because you are not actively selling your property

Comment

Googler?

Hi googler.. Yes I admit I may have typed my previous email in a hurry but that's only due to the fact that -you - seem to be an estate agent stuck in the dark ages who's now spitting the dummy because you now have competition in your area and you can't have things your own way anymore.

If you did your research correctly you would find that IPR sites such as my site use portals such as Fish4 and Nestoria to market each property nationally. The base sites are merely a begining stage by which to market your prospective property.

I currently have my property on the market and I'm using both an estate agent and my site and I can report that I have had more interest through my site than my agent has managed to muster. I can also gauge how well my property is performing through added addtional features built into the site whereby I can see 'daily' the amount of interest my property is attracting. Get this sort of service from an estate agent.... I don't think so!!

I, like many people are sick and tired of estate agents doing the bare minumum to sell a property and then claim a large commission of around 2% based on their supossed success. I, like other companies, have come up with a viable solution to the consumers ongoing frustration. Just look at what has happened in the travel industry. Most people wouldn't dream of booking their holiday online 5 years ago.. now look at what has happened - a complete reversal. The same trend is now happening with estate agents. Gone are the days where you have the monopoly over the consumer!
                Last edited by chris Jones; 06-06-2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

cont...

following on from my previous email. How exactly do you think a sterotypical village estate agent is able to market a property nationally? If you think about this one.. its exactly the same way we do... by use of a wonderful piece of technology called the internet and large portals such as Fish4. If I were to visit a local estate agents website over in somewhere like Kent and searched a postcode for the North of England I'm pretty sure it wouldn't retrieve many results! However - if I searched rightmove or Fish4 for a certain area - guess what, I have every property for sale in that region and more importantly every property on every IPR and agents portfolio.

All we're doing, by providing a service - such as mine - is showing the true cost and simplicity to selling a property by not grossly overcharging for a service that is essentially quite simple and does not require a professional qualification.
                  Last edited by chris Jones; 08-06-2008, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Chris wrote "Yes I admit I may have typed my previous email in a hurry but that's only due to the fact that -you - seem to be an estate agent ..."

Wot? You type faster and more carelessly when you think you're addressing an estate agent? OK, if you say so....

Comment

Chris then wrote; "If you did your research correctly you would find that IPR sites such as my site use portals such as Fish4 and Nestoria to market each property nationally. The base sites are merely a begining stage by which to market your prospective property."

Don't be so condescending - anyone reading this can see the research I did from my post above, whether 'correctly' or not - I looked at each of the websites YOU named above, examined them to see if they had anything in my area, and found them all to be lacking. I've also had a looksee at Fish4 and Nestoria, and IMHO they're also lacking. These were just the sites that you suggested were 'worth a look', mind........

My research also tells me that IPR isn't an acronym for Internet Retail Site (that would be IRS, wouldn't it?). Wossitstandfor?

So you have this site of your own, and you can monitor how many folks visit it, and you claim this as a special feature? I disagree. I've built webpages too. It's not rocket science, it's a 'hit counter'; anyone can build a hit counter into a web page or web site, it's a mere click of the mouse with MS Frontpage, and probably the same with other web-building applications. Tell us again why yours is unique.....

Comment

Last one. Chris said "I, like many people are sick and tired of estate agents doing the bare minumum to sell a property and then claim a large commission of around 2% based on their supossed success. "

Slow down, Chris; SUPPOSED success.

If they're doing the 'bare minimum', then what are you doing? I get the impression you're going to put property on your website, feed it to Fish4, Nestoria, then sit back and wait for something to happen. That strikes me as fairly minimal.

Comment

Googler, not to be offensive, but you are incredibly rude aren't you? The other guy has admitted a vested interest and promoted competitors as well - he isn't shilling as you appear to be (from a distance) but believes in the general idea of online selling.

I can't be bothered reading enough of your threads to work out if you are an EA or not, I am just shocked to see someone so rude on a forum and so desperate to put people off another avenue of ways to sell there home.

This might come as a shock, but we are little different than the U.S.A, in that "buy to let" acts as our own subprime, and interest rates combined with fuel prices will put enough people into dire straits. California, Upland in fact, is wrecked as far as the housing market goes, and real estate agents are going belly up.

People like Chris are not alone, online selling will become massive. EAs are the Blockbuster's of the future. I personally suggest using as many options as possible.

As for hit counter and frontpage, your web experience is obviously from before 2000, as is Mr Jones if his website uses that. I doubt it does. Then again, I doubt most online property sites use either of these things either - it might be time for your EA, Googler to go on the web as well....

Although you won't get your 2% fee anymore which is the real reason people are leaving EA's in my opinion.

Comment

selling online but still using an agent

Hi we are a online sales company we provide a unique service in allowing our customers to have a video of their property appear on page 1 on google with their chosen search phrase.Type these phrases into google to check us out

three bedroom semi detached house for sale clitheroe
                            Houses for Sale in Lammack
                            Detached 4 Bedrooms in Wilpshire
                            2 bed flat for sale in south west london
                            Property For sale in Langho
                            Property For sale in Kingston Upon Thames

If you have checked out a few of the phrases, you can see its not a scam, we are the marketing team of a large travel company. My point is we do provide fantastic exposure for a seller, but we also work with lots of estate agents and recommend that our service is really there to compliment an estate agents service. It is possible to sell without an agent and im sure many people do successfully, but it does to me feel a bit like representing yourself in court not using a lawyer

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              Googler, not to be offensive, but you are incredibly rude aren't you? The other guy has admitted a vested interest and promoted competitors as well - he isn't shilling as you appear to be (from a distance) but believes in the general idea of online selling.

I can't be bothered reading enough of your threads to work out if you are an EA or not, I am just shocked to see someone so rude on a forum and so desperate to put people off another avenue of ways to sell there home.

This might come as a shock, but we are little different than the U.S.A, in that "buy to let" acts as our own subprime, and interest rates combined with fuel prices will put enough people into dire straits. California, Upland in fact, is wrecked as far as the housing market goes, and real estate agents are going belly up.

People like Chris are not alone, online selling will become massive. EAs are the Blockbuster's of the future. I personally suggest using as many options as possible.

As for hit counter and frontpage, your web experience is obviously from before 2000, as is Mr Jones if his website uses that. I doubt it does. Then again, I doubt most online property sites use either of these things either - it might be time for your EA, Googler to go on the web as well....

Although you won't get your 2% fee anymore which is the real reason people are leaving EA's in my opinion.

Incredibly rude? I disagree. Mildly annoyed or indignant, maybe. If someone comes to a forum such as this to promote their business, and their efforts are lacking, then other forum viewers may well take them to task for it. That's the nature of a public forum. I judge businesses by what they or their representatives say in public. Property-related or not, whether estate agents, website owners, hairdressers, banks, whatever...... If people post here, or in other forums, as professionals, they shouldn't be taking three attempts at writing 'proffesional' (sic), 'profesional' (sic) and then finally get it right at the third attempt.

Take my local fitted-kitchen supplier as an example; they displayed two large vinyl banners outside their premises for three months or so; they read "Joiners requried" (sic). Another business in my locale offers, via a hand-scrawled notice in their window - "Hair extentions" (sic).

The same applies to politicians and other public figures. If their utterances and public writings are lacking, people will take them to task for them.

If someone comes to these forums with poorly-written copy, in need of a good proof-read, then they're fair game. As their potential clients, I, and others, may well judge them by what they say in public and how they say it.

You tell me that I'm rude, then suggest that my reference to a 'hit counter' belongs in the last century? Hmm. Well, I'm sorry if my use of the terminology didn't meet your standards, but the term 'hit counter' I used in the most generic sense; that of something built into the page which measures the traffic, by whatever means or whatever software; it doesn't strike me as a radically new feature (you obviously agree with me on that), and it doesn't strike me as anywhere near the 'unique service offering' that the previous poster suggested it was..... it strikes me anyone could build that into a page; even a webmaster living so far in the past as myself.

You say " ... online selling will become massive.", which suggests you agree with me that it isn't at the moment..... but it might be later. No?

As I said, of the websites the previous poster mentioned, none of them convinced me that they're providing anything like local exposure, never mind national..... and he didn't tell us what his site was, so we can't see if there are any more properties on it than his own....

Then you suggest " ... using as many options as possible" - but surely online promotion as you suggest it is just ONE option?

Comment

Working...
                              X