Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

home-selling and pets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home-selling and pets

do you guys have some tips for pet owners who plan to sell their home? my aunt is planning to sell their town house and she happens to be an owner of two dogs. would you advise that she take her dogs to a relative or friend while her property is listed in the market? thanks.

Definitely. She should try to neutralise the house as much as possible so removing all traces of dog is the best idea possible. People who don't like dogs can feel the house is "dirty" if there are obious signs of pets there. It can create imaginary smells as well

Comment

I dont have a dog smell in my house I dont think..
      Unless your unclean or have huge smelly drooly dogs etc then I think that the owners home should just smell of their home not of animal.

Comment

That's the problem most of the time - you can't smell it yourself! so fdon't think to deoderise the smell when preparing your house for visitors.

Comment

Originally posted by ninikins View Post
          That's the problem most of the time - you can't smell it yourself! so fdon't think to deoderise the smell when preparing your house for visitors.

that's a good point, ninikins. i'd surely suggest that my aunt send the dogs somewhere (probably to us. lol. ) while her house is listed on the market.

Comment

Bollocks! I have dogs, and if you keep a clean house, there's not reason to displace an animal any more than is necessary ...like when the house is being shown. If you're unsure of your housekeeping, ask an objective friend to have a smell. While it's important to sell a house and do a good job of the showings, animals are a part of a family. I've sold several houses and I own dogs. It's never been a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by vicki2 View Post
              Bollocks! I have dogs, and if you keep a clean house, there's not reason to displace an animal any more than is necessary ...like when the house is being shown. If you're unsure of your housekeeping, ask an objective friend to have a smell. While it's important to sell a house and do a good job of the showings, animals are a part of a family. I've sold several houses and I own dogs. It's never been a problem.
              that's good to hear. i'd tell her both suggestions then and let her decide for herself. if it would be easier for her to attend to everything even if the dogs are with her, then i guess it won't be a problem.

Comment

There are so many cleaning products on the market to deal with dog odors that i honestly can't imagine sending my dogs anywhere to live while a house is on the market. They're like my children and I wouldn't send the kids to live elsewhere for the duration. And children smell too! LOL.

Comment

I have a dog and a few cats myself and even though I would not have trouble buying a house there are people who object

Comment

home selling pets

I have a cat and I am very careful that my house does not smell. But like you said sometimes you do not smell what other people smell. So I would take my pet somewhere while having a open house.

Comment

Oh certainly, you should never have a pet in the home while you are allowing complete strangers to walk about and also, pets DO have odors and even if you don't smell them, others do. Being a pet owner myself, I would suggest taking pets to a sitter (relative, doggie daycare, etc) a day in advance and cleaning the rugs well before allowing the open house or showing.

Comment

Re: home-selling and pets

We had 7 dogs until recently - we sadly just lost one - but our house just sold a few weeks ago - the dogs went to my neighbours' house and I removed their beds etc - not one viewer realised we had any dogs at all - the couple that bought know us so were aware that we owned dogs but commented in the house that they wouldn't have guessed. We never lied about having dogs - but no one ever asked and even the estate agent said that she was surprised as there was no sign/smell of them. pays testament I guess to my hours if cleaning!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X