Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guessing the price of a house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guessing the price of a house

I had my head totally immersed in the property market for a good year before I bought. I would load up estate agent sites every night and go through new properties and remind myself of older ones.

Anyway, the other night my mum rang, we chatted - then she happened to mention that my Grandad was considering selling his house and buying one next door to my mum that just came up for sale.

The reasons for the move is that he's got health problems but currently lives a good 45 mins drive from her - he's near Selby and she's in Hull.

Anyway, my mum asked me to guess how much his house was worth...

I figured 3 bedroom bungalow with sunroom extension in a nice quiet village, commuting distance to Selby, York, even Leeds - £180,000.

Spot on.

Then she asked if I could guess how much the house next door was worth.

Let's see - small 4 bedroomed, probably in need of some upgrading - but desirable area (Kirkella, the nicer part of Hull). Okay - somewhere between £200,000-£210,000.

It's selling for £200,000.

Although I had been planning to move to Scotland, and really focused on the prices there, I did put my head into looking at prices back home in Hull, for comparison.

Hm, maybe I should get a job as an estate agent myself?

haha, yeah, you're pretty good brian..that's quite impressive..

Comment

Maybe you should Brian!
      I have no clue when it comes to estimating houses, im either way off or way way too much.
      I think it maybe as I havent gotten onto the property ladder as yet and these things will come to me once im there!

Comment

Excellent work. You might actually enjoy the niche I think. People tend to enjoy areas in which they excel. I know a guy who can do that with antiques. Personally I have to always get an appraisal.

Comment

Working...
        X