Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repaint front door if you want to sell your home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repaint front door if you want to sell your home

According to the Co-operative Bank, those selling their property should think about repainting their front door. The front door and garden is the first thing a prospective buyer sees so should make an impression. Fresh seasonal flowers, in pots or planted, along the front walk or by your front door can create the right look. [...]

More: Repaint front door if you want to sell your home

I never thought that a freshly painted door would mean that much.

Comment

I think this is all part of kerb appeal - making a good first impression. That would make a lot of sense - if paying attention to the front door, you're probably paying attention to the front of the property in general.

Comment

Would it not make more sense from a buyers sense of view that a freshly painted front door is not what you are paying for? In all it probably does make a difference because you always get the buyer who knows nothing about buying but at the end of the day people who know anything about buying properties knows that buying is all about the space, size of property and structural integrity.

I have read in a few places about making certain changes can help the appeal of selling the house, minor things such as hiding the rubbish bins help give a sense of space and tidiness. If this is the case, should the report not have mentioned anything about repairing broken gates to gardens and painting garden fences as this is another thing that will set an ever lasting first impression.
        Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Bon Bon View Post
          Would it not make more sense from a buyers sense of view that a freshly painted front door is not what you are paying for? In all it probably does make a difference because you always get the buyer who knows nothing about buying but at the end of the day people who know anything about buying properties knows that buying is all about the space, size of property and structural integrity.
          If the first thing that you see when you approach the property, whether door, gate, fence, driveway, whatever, is well-looked after, it'll give the impression that the owners have taken care of their home. If the rest of it is looked after to the same extent as what you see first, then it'll be a good buy. Why put buyers off at the first hurdle?

It's amazing that people will try and sell a house with a front door with cracked paintwork, letterbox falling off, and scrape marks where the pet dog/cat/badger/ferret has exercised its claws........ when people see this, will they really want to see the rest of the house....?

Comment

When buying you should look past the cracked paintwork which will more than likely take a coat of paint to fix, buyers should be watching out for damp, damage to roofs and things like so that will cost a lot to be put right.

All-in-all, if the house is in a terrible state it won't sell, but ever time you sell your house you don't need to re-paint the front because people say re-paint, just do some general repairs. I think one of the best repairs that can be done is replacing the doors on kitchen units if they are tatty, you can pick them up cheaply these days and they make the kitchen look new.
            Matt

Comment

I am new to this forum, but came looking for some tips to help me sell my property. I read on another site that you shouldn't have parked cars outside the front as they make the road look over crowded.

Comment

Can you move your neighbours' cars as well?

When you move yours to the street next door, won't someone come and pinch your space(s), 5 minutes before a viewing...?

Comment

A front door that needs work really does suggest the same for the rest of the house, and a buyer won't necessarily be impressed if they know a purchase means having to invest valuable time just to fix a large number of small issues just because the seller never could be bothered to fix them.

Presentation is everything in sales - that's why sellers have been especially encouraged to make their home interior neutral before a sale. Likely the buyer is looking at multiple similar properties, so they are likely not losing out if they pass on a poorly presented property.

I think the overall point is to make the selling process as simple and pain free as possible.

After all, we are talking about a sales process - and that means the seller being a sales person to some degree, and that means trying to get rid of simple and avoidable reasons why someone would say no to a property.

Comment

To elaborate on my other post - we have done the 3 P's to within an inch of their lives, everything is new, from roof to flooring and all in between - nothing seems to make a difference - we have tried open days, dropped the price, giving furniture away with the sale - nothing seems to work - we need to move due to health reasons to a property on one level. We know that when people finally do come through the pristine doors, they will fall in love with it, but, one viewer in nine months does not fill you with confidence. They wanted it, but, of course, they had to sell theirs first. It doesn't really help with the agents say, "in a normal market, this would sell every day of the week". We could give Anne Maurice and all the other makeover teams a run for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by babbles View Post
                      To elaborate on my other post - we have done the 3 P's to within an inch of their lives, everything is new, from roof to flooring and all in between - nothing seems to make a difference - we have tried open days, dropped the price, giving furniture away with the sale - nothing seems to work - we need to move due to health reasons to a property on one level. We know that when people finally do come through the pristine doors, they will fall in love with it, but, one viewer in nine months does not fill you with confidence. They wanted it, but, of course, they had to sell theirs first. It doesn't really help with the agents say, "in a normal market, this would sell every day of the week". We could give Anne Maurice and all the other makeover teams a run for their money.
                      Have you changed your price over the past 9 months? Simply that you don't mention that, and it would be easy to be cynical and suggest that your property is over valued in the first place if you have difficulty attracting a buyer.

Of course, it may simply be that you're in a particularly weak area for property sales - in which case, all you can do is try to do the right thing in terms of presentation, etc.

Comment

Clothes maketh the man

As much as we all say that we should look at the person inside, first impressions really do count in today's society. If you saw one of our clients for the first time you would think this man hasn't got 2 pennies to rub together, he rarely wears shoes, has scruffy hair etc etc - BUT he owns a construction business worth millions here. Now most people would walk or run away from him and lose out on the sale. Do the painting and small things outside to attract them inside. You get more bees with honey than vinegar

Comment

Working...
                        X