Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenants urged to check tenancy agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants urged to check tenancy agreement

James Molloy, head of AA Legal Services is urging people who live in rented accommodation to get a written tenancy agreement before they move in. Landlords are required by law to ensure tenancy agreements are signed. Furthermore, items such as utility meter readings should be carried out before accepting the keys to your rented home. [...]

More: Tenants urged to check tenancy agreement

This I can well believe, having been on the receiving end of a bad inventory many many years ago. Two weeks after moving in, I received an inventory, which was fine, until I noted that two sets of curtains had been added to the list, as well as a tumble dryer - the best bit was, I owned these three items. So not only had the agent done the work late, but they had also entered the property without my permission . I never dealt with that agent again.

But even today, I find it hard to believe that a lot of landlords, and some agents, don't treat the inventory with the respect it deserves. With deposits having to be secured these days, and with the tenant having much greater protection over their deposit, the inventory is really coming into greater focus.

I make sure that I go through the inventory with every tenant, so that they understand what it says, and what it means to them at the end of the tenancy (no matter how long it may take). Much the same is done with the tenancy agreement, in that the tenant needs to fully understand what it says.

Cheers, Lee.
    http://www.coxford-lettings.com

Comment

Absolutely the right way to go about it, Lee, and welcome to Home Move.

Comment

Working...
      X