Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to find ROOM (not whole property) that accepts DSS? What is needed from guarantor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find ROOM (not whole property) that accepts DSS? What is needed from guarantor

Hi. There are a few place in UK I'm interested in moving and I need to find a room that accepts housing benefit/DSS. I'm under 35 so can only have shared accommodation. This is proving difficult because there are sites for whole properties that accept DSS but places like Spareroom etc seem to hardly have anything in the way of just rooms that accept it. I heard that some councils have lists of Landlords that accept housing benefit but all the places seems none of the cities i want to move to have a list like this. Any advice?
    I have enough money to pay deposit and also I was thinking of telling landlords I can pay the rent at beginning of month rather than them waiting for me to get my housing benefit through.
    Also I know i need a guarantor. My parents are both homeowners and willing to do it but also they are both retired and I heard guarantors need to be employed. Is this true?

Re: How to find ROOM (not whole property) that accepts DSS? What is needed from guara

I don't know the 'formal' or 'official' process through letting agents but I know a number of private landlords who accept DSS tenants and as they are renting privately, and not through an agent, it is therefore the landlords decision as to if you provide details for guarantors, pay rent up front, etc.

The landlords I know who do this generally do it through the property sections of local newspapers or on GumTree so that could be a starting point for you?

Comment

Re: How to find ROOM (not whole property) that accepts DSS? What is needed from guara

Thanks for the reply.

So you think papers and gumtree are best places to find landlords that accept DSS? I am always a little wary of gumtree but i guess just need to keep my wits about me.

I was also wondering if this would be any help for finding an individual room, not property. Isn't it the case that usually the tenants at the time find someone to fill a room? And thus, even if landlord accepts DSS, have to deal with possible prejudices of current too?

Comment

Sorry, last line should read "Isn't it the case that usually the tenants at the time find someone to fill a room? And thus, even if landlord accepts DSS, I have to deal with possible prejudices of current TENANTS too?

Comment

Originally posted by Sisyphus View Post
          Thanks for the reply.

So you think papers and gumtree are best places to find landlords that accept DSS? I am always a little wary of gumtree but i guess just need to keep my wits about me.

I was also wondering if this would be any help for finding an individual room, not property. Isn't it the case that usually the tenants at the time find someone to fill a room? And thus, even if landlord accepts DSS, have to deal with possible prejudices of current too?
          I'm only commenting in relation to landlords I know and in their case then yes, when it comes to their properties and potential DSS tenants looking for a property then local papers and gumtree have worked for them.

As for your final comment, whether its the landlord themselves who fill empty rooms or existing tenants that do so vary property to property and depends on what works for those involved. For example, if I had a house and let out 3 rooms and of these, there was a tenant who'd been there right from the start then I may trust them to let people view it and make the decision on who they'd like to fill the empty room but it should always be the landlord who makes the ultimate decision because they are the one who has to foot the bill and should be the one to do all financial checks, references, etc.

Using Gumtree as an example, I've just entered "DSS" in the search box, "Properties" in the 'Category' field and entered a few random town names in location and for each there are properties appear that have comments along the lines of "DSS accepted", "DSS applicants considered", "DSS welcome" and such like. These results are for both full property rental as well as individual rooms

Comment

Hi,

We are letting agents and we accept DSS, subject to references etc.

A lot of agents do, its down to the individual landlord.

If you use a letting agent you may pay fees (typically £300) but safe in the knowledge the landlord has gas saftey certificate, epc etc.

If you want to go down the private landlord route they still need to provide these but poor landlords will not.

Best place to find private landlords is Gumtree, or local papers.

Good luck!
            Jacks and Jones Estate Agents
            http://www.jacksandjones.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for replies.

Barny - I'll give gumtree a good look. What would worry me is that you may even have a landlord who accepts DSS but, if tenants are the ones looking to fill a room, not beyond realms of possibility that they would specify no DSS despite what landlord allows.

Jacks & Jones - so do you have landlords on your books who you know accept DSS, so if someone comes to you with DSS, you know who to get in touch with? What kind of guarantor conditions are usual for DSS tenants?
              My problem specifically is I only get shared accommodation rate, so can't afford a whole property. I need a room and I don't believe that agents like yourself deal with that do you?

Comment

Working...
              X