Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasonable Letting agent fees.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable Letting agent fees.

Hi,

We are estate and letting agents.

We are always looking to improve our service.

Tenants sometimes complain about fees (and seeing some letting agents fees i am not surprised)

As a tenant, assuming that fees are needed to be paid, what would you feel is reasonable amount to be charged excluding deposit.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Jacks and Jones Estate Agents
    http://www.jacksandjones.co.uk

Re: Reasonable Letting agent fees.

As a landlord and acting privately, some of the comments I often hear about fees are the following:

Cleaning fee's - Some local agents charge £60+ for cleaning a 2 bed property. This doesn't even include a full carpet wash / steam clean and usually takes 2 hours for a single worker! The fee needs to be justified.

"Check out" fee - An admin fee charged by some local agents to do the final inventory and ensure the property is clean....sometimes despite already paying them for the cleaning service. Local charges vary from £25 - £100 for this.

Initial credit / reference searched - I believe the general rate is approximately £100 for a single or £150 for a couple. I do these myself using legitimate online companies for £10 per person and get a full 5 years credit history and address confirmation as well. In addition, I send out some basic reference questions for those details they've supplied which I also follow up with some phone calls to ensure they aren't a scam and again, the time and cost of this is usually about £10 per person so as a total, £20 per person and £40 for a couple.

That's all I can think of for now so will update if I think of anything else I've encountered.

Comment

Re: Reasonable Letting agent fees.

Thanks Barny,

Always good to have a landlords view!
      Jacks and Jones Estate Agents
      http://www.jacksandjones.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X