Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notice Period - Contract Verbiage not clear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice Period - Contract Verbiage not clear

Hi All,

I am renting a property from an estate agent and are into a contract.

I have to serve notice as per contract to vacate the property..however have trouble understanding the terms of the contract as below.

Please advise below and help me interpret. Our rental due date is 27th of each month.
    Terms of Contract
    1. NOTICE TO END THE TENANCY - Given by the Tenant to the Landlord
    1.1 Any Notice to be served on the Landlord by the Tenant must be served in writing.
    1.2 The Notice period must be for a minimum of one calendar month to end no earlier than the last day
    of the Term of the Tenancy.
    1.3 At least one month prior to the expiry of the Term specified in the Particulars the Tenant shall give
    Notice to the Landlord or the Landlord’s Agent specifying whether or not the Tenant will be vacating
    at the end of the Tenancy or whether the Tenant seeks an extension or renewal of the Tenancy.

Additional Terms:
    2. The tenant shall be entitled to terminate this tenancy by giving notice to the landlord as follow:
    2.1 The period of the notice to be a minimum of one calendar month.
    2.2 The notice can be served anytime during the tenancy term.
    2.3 The Notice period will expire on the last day of a period of the tenancy and must be served in writing.

Attached Files

Re: Notice Period - Contract Verbiage not clear

This is a standard clause put in by a lot of letting agents but isn't legally correct.

I am assuming this is a Assured Shorthold Tenancy and is relating to the last day of the fixed term stated on the contract.

Agents put this clause in to encourage being given notice by the tenant and therefore finding time to find a new tenant.

Just because it is in the contract doesn't make it legal and you can if you choose to, give no notice and hand your keys back on the last day.

If your contract ends and you don't sign a new one but still live there the contract becomes periodic (month to month). Then you HAVE to give one month notice starting on a rent day.

Comment

Working...
    X