Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

benefits to a lanlord of tenant renewing for another 6 months??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benefits to a lanlord of tenant renewing for another 6 months??

Scottish landlord letting out a one bed flat, to a mature student, through an agent.

At the end of the initial 6 month short hold tenancy agreement my agent has asked if I want the tenant to renew for another six months.

Immediately I am thinking "yes".
    Oh and the agent will charge me a "renewal" fee of £200.

However - if, hypothetically, after 1 month and 1 day into the second six month agreement my student tenant quits his course and returns back home to M&D in Englandshire - what legal rights do I have to get the remaining 5 months money ?

If the answer is "none" then what I am really asking is "why bother getting them to sign for another six months at my expense" ?

I have previously been a tenant and after six months I was happy to do the "rolling" one month agreement - at no charge to me and presumably no "renewal" fee to be paid by the landlord ?

My new tenant is a student who could hypothetically be in my flat for three years - so that'd be 5 * £200 for renewals = £1000.

Why should I pay this £1000 for nothing and no legal entitlement ?

Re: benefits to a lanlord of tenant renewing for another 6 months??

Have you considered trying with another agent?

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
      Have you considered trying with another agent?
      I am pretty happy for the letting agency overall.

In fact they are the 2nd agency I've had the flat with - the first which was a lot more local to the flat but didn't have any success.

The flat is in a village and the 1st lettings agency was in the village whereas the 2nd lettings agency are in a near by bigger city (large town really but it's called a city) and they're popularity seems pretty good - it's Martin and Co. actually.

I'm just a wee bit annoyed at the prospect of paying money for nothing - if I do have some claim on monies if the tenant signs for another six months then I would / may be getting something for something.

Comment

It all comes down to the renter -- the next person could always be a complete and total nightmare, costing you much more than simply letting your current tenant ride. If you want the current renter out, and don't think you'll find worse out there, go for it. Otherwise, I'd say it's a case of the devil you know. Also, you won't have to refurbish the apartment. Of course, if the renter has been there a long time and you could get significantly more, then do what you gotta do. I own in Los Angeles and I prefer to let my tenants stay when I can. It's easier and a bit more humane too -- although they can quickly take advantage too. I guess it's a case-by-case kind of thing. Cheers!
        Has anyone bought from http://www.gardencentredirect.co.uk ?

Comment

Working...
        X