Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving from Housing association to private

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from Housing association to private

Hi there. I am currently living in a housing association 1 bed flat in Stalybridge in Tameside, Greater Manchester. I've been here nearly two years now & have converted from the starter tenancy to the more permanent one (I think it's called assured tenancy)
    I've just finished my Diploma and have no children and I'm now single. I went to St Ives in Cornwall for a holiday & have fell in love with it & would like to move there. I don't have family here (that are interested in me anyway) & I'm thinking of a new start somewhere.
    I then found a flat in St Ives town centre for 425 a month (including bills) which i thought was amazing! as the usual prices have been 500 minimum, for 1 bed & just the rent each time I've looked for the past few months. It's available long term and i was told they are investment flats. So I paid 100 for the guarantor fees and my fees and have applied. It was accepted on Friday and I am now REALLY scared and wondering if I am doing the right thing. The past few days I have started to explore Manchester a bit & my head is working overtime thinking of all the what ifs.
    The main thing I am worried about is giving up this flat i'm in as it's only 300 per month and is a housing association flat. I am trying to weigh up everything and decide asap. I think i am really lucky to get this place & it is the security in a home that I've never had. My mum suffers with alcoholism it has really complicated our whole family situation. (her family). I'm scared that i'll never get a housing association again, but then i think to myself what if i meet someone & end up living with him anyway. Or what if my mum dies and leaves her 200,000 house to me (i know it's bad to think of that but it's reality because of her illness) and i'm her only child. I'm wondering if my head is in the clouds with this dream of living by the sea, or is it an amazing opportunity. I have to decide before Tuesday and any help would be massively appreciated..

Re: Moving from Housing association to private

within your post you haven't mentioned anything about employment.

do you have a job in Manchester?
    can you get employment in St Ives?

no job = don't move IMO

Comment

I have just graduated. I do not have a job as i need to move before i can get a job so i will be claiming housing benefits

Comment

Okay. What are the job prospects in both Manchester and St Ives for whatever it is you have a deploma in?

Comment

There isn't much work in Cornwall, it's not got many jobs and most are seasonal. But i don't think there are many jobs anywhere at the moment because of the recession. I have graduated in Counselling and there aren't may paid jobs in Counselling anywhere, but it does open other doors (support work, alcohol worker, care worker etc) but i need a break from mental health work for a while anyway and would like to do something a little less complex. Serving tea and coffee in a little cafe sounds so perfect right now and just what i need.

Comment

Working...
          X