Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estate Agency doesn't want to return my deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estate Agency doesn't want to return my deposit

HI,

I signed an agreement 2 weeks ago in order to secure a renting property and I paid a deposit of £650 for it but in the second viewing to the house I discover by myself and also talking to the current tenants (the person from the agency was also there) that the property has serious problems such as the lighting not working properly, mice, slugs coming from the bathroom due to the extreme damp the property and the basement is in, you cant store clothes int he buit-in wardrobes as they get moulded, etc...
    The estate agency never told me about those problems so I signed that agreement with no knowledge of the real condition of the house. I feel competely tricked and uninformed and because obviously I dont want to go ahead with the renting they dont want to give me the money back claiming that I am withdrawing the application.
    But it is not me changing my mind but them not informing me and hiding information.
    Is there any legal regulation for these problem?

Many thanks.

Re: Estate Agency doesn't want to return my deposit

By paying your money over you have entered into a contract, one to rent for at least 6 months. The agent could even charge you for any rents lost if they do not acquire another tenant over the next 6 months.

That said you could threaten them with legal action due to the non disclosure of material facts.

Another option would be to move in and stop paying rent until the issues were fixed.

Thank you,

Comment

Working...
    X