Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting help

Hi

First post so please be kind. I'll try not to make it too long as I'm pretty sure there isn't much we can do but I will ask anyway.

My wife and I moved into our rented property nearly a year ago. We originally signed up to a 12 month contract with a view to being here a lot longer. Unfortunately, a lot of landlords in our area won't accept pets, and having a couple of cats, we couldn't be very choosy.

The property we moved into wasn't very well presented when taking on the tenancy (previous tenants had pets too), carpets were stained/damaged, walls marked, minimal maintenance, etc, and the price reflected that.

Zoom on 9 months, and bearing in mind we pay our rent in full every month without fail, look after the property as far as is expected as tenants (model tenants perhaps?), we send the letting agent an email asking if it is ok to remove the dirty, tattered carpet and replace it with laminate flooring. Letting agent consults with landlord and says yes its fine, so we fork out approx £500 to have a decent laminate floor put down.

2 weeks ago my wife recieved a phone call at work from the letting agent enquiring whether we had put the new floor down or not yet. Being caught off guard, she tells the truth and says we have.

Today we get home to a letter from the letting agent saying we have to pay a renewal fee (as expected) if we want to renew the contract, but also an increase of £10 p/m. It may not sound a lot but the only reason for the rent increase I can see is because we have just spent £500 of our own money on a new floor. Makes me wish we had never bothered now.

The question is, is it worth appealing the rent increase? There are arguments against the rent increase I can use (poorly maintained windows/frames for a start) but are appeals listened to or even won? I don't want to find us out of a home if the landlord refuses to renew the tenancy.

Thanks

Re: Renting help

I think every year, the price of rent for each property increases. Though, it is permitted by law to increase rent every year, there are guidelines and ceiling percentage of increase per year. The percentage of increase depends on the landlord and on the law in which city where you are. In most cases, the law only permits landlords to increase up-to 5% of the rent yearly.
    Landlord Property Software

Comment

You can sure try to appeal your dissatisfaction, especially if you've complained about the poorly maintained windows/frames before and the landlord hasn't repaired them yet, but I'm not sure if this will result in him skipping the increase. As the previous poster just said, landlords of leased properties are allowed to increase their rent granted that they wait until the lease renewal.
      Visit MyProperty.ph to buy or rent condos, houses, apartments and other residential properties.

Comment

For £10 month not really worth the hassle
        Letting Agents Milton Keynes www.prestigemk.com
        www.trading-standards-approved.org.uk

Comment

Working...
        X