Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Tax return - how to

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tax return - how to

    I have just started to rent out a one bed flat which was my home.

    I expect to only make £1500 - £2000 pa "profit" after all the deductibles have been taken off.

    I'm confused by the tax return / declaration options.....

    I know that I can self assess but I've read that for a "profit" of less than £2500 you can do it through PAYE but if the tenant moves out after six months why would I want next years PAYE tax code to be changed?

    or is the purpose of the change to the PAYE tax code to pay back the tax for this year's profit by spreading it over next year?

    or would I be better just to declare through self assessment what "profit" I've made this year?

    I'd rather pay what I will owe for this year...in one go and be done with it... on money that I've actually gained and not money that I might gain.

    Or am I missing the whole point of this??