Welcome to the reallymoving forum
Got questions and need some advice? Our forums have answers on everything from choosing the right property, to renting and selling.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Tenants Rights

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tenants Rights

    Apologies as this may be a long question.

    My wife and I moved into the house that is being rented in Oct 2006 and it has 3 bedrooms. No other people live here.
    Since Jan 08 I was her full time carer looking after all of her needs such as washing, dressing, cooking and cleaning. The list goes on.
    Sadly, towards the end of March this year my wife passed away leaving me in the house on my own.
    When this had happened and I had got her death certificate I immediately told the council that my wife had died and shortly after this I was sent a housing benefit form.
    Today I have found out that I am going to be £20 short each week on my rent which means out of the small amount that I get paid each week I need to pay the landlord £20 to make this up.
    With the amount of benefits that I get it is very difficult to pay what is required and because I am living alone I am only entitled to receive benefits for 1 bedroom.
    I went to verify this with the Council today and have been informed that I will not receive a top up in order that I am able to pay the full rent.
    I am awaiting the landlord to contact me to see if he will reduce the rent so that I am not in the position of having to find an extra £20 per week which will be more than impossible.
    It is only just under 6 weeks since my wife died and I have all her possesions to sort out at the moment which I have not even started thinking about. If I did I would have to pack them up and take them with me to sort out at a later date.
    Surely, in such circumstances they should have some code of conduct where they would pay you the full amount for a few months until you got yourself sorted out.
    Any advice you can give me or who I could see would be great.

  • #2
    Re: Tenants Rights

    I am so sorry to hear of your loss and of your current troubles. Have you thought about speaking to your local Citizens Advice Bureau to see if there is any way they could help with the Council? Cruse is another organisation that might be able to offer support for you at this difficult time. I hope that one or the other, or preferably both, can do something to help.


    • #3
      Re: Tenants Rights

      I had a similar problem as you did and i got told to go to CAB and they were actually really good they gave me all the advice i needed and helped me figure out what to do next


      • #4
        Re: Tenants Rights

        Citizens advice bureau – this can be helpful to you. They are nice people and will surely help you resolve your issues.
        Guaranteed Rent Scheme |Estate agents Canary Wharf